New Classic 1990 Reatta Owner

Guest Beck

Guest Beck

Okaaaayyy, Yeah. alright. What he said. Im gonna have to digest that last bit of information and get back to you. If I understand correctly I should go ahead and clean all the contacts on the IPC and reseat the connections and see what I get, to begin with.

Beck,

What MC is saying is that the software version of the ECM needs to be verified. It is stored on a chip inside the ECM and if someone substituted the wrong version that may explain your messed up display at the IPC.

Reason being that different versions of the software encode the data differently and a mismatch results in the BCM not being able to properly decode what the ECM is sending.

Cleaning connections will not correct this problem - if that is whats wrong - although trying can't hurt. We raise this possibility as with the age of these cars now and the number that have been through multiple owners, some improper repairs have been known to cause such unusual symptoms.

I went through this with my first 88. Another recent post here also outlined problems caused by the wrong PROM chip being installed in the ECM. Seems this is becoming a more common problem lately due to the uniformed swapping in parts incorrectly. So it is something to check for before you go chasing these problems with a lot of wasted trouble shooting time and effort.

KDirk

Guest Beck

I seem to be having a problem getting the codes to come up. I was getting it to work and now no matter what I do I cant get the codes to come on. I am holding the Off button and the ^Up button on the temp control and nothing is happening. Ive been trying it for a half hour and still nothing. any Ideas?

Guest Mc_Reatta

Hope this is just some dirty buttons on the face of the ECC Panel. (Heater and AC control unit). Check they are all working properly while doing their regular duty. Especially the off button and the up temp buttons. Pretty sure Ronnie has a procedure for this on his site.

Is there any change to the odometer or other displays while you are attempting to enter diagnostics? Think others had reported flashing or strange symbols showing up when they couldn't get into diagnostics.

Edited by Mc_Reatta (see edit history)

Guest Beck

No I get no diagnostics at all it stays with the odometer display as normal without the codes. Im afraid I might have depressed the buttons to hard as an effort to get contact.

Im going to try Ronnies process for cleaning the button contacts. Thanks for the How to guide to the diagnostic.

Guest Beck

Is there a secret or trick to getting the Climate Control head unit unclipped from the wiring harness? I have the negative ground taken off the battery but I cannot seem to get the wiring harness unclipped. Thanks Beck

Need a small flat edge tool to slide in under the top edge of the grey connector to get it up and over the detent lock on the socket on the rear of the climate control head. Then just pull straight back and off. It is awkward due to lacking a lot of slack in the harness and working above the radion without scratching or damaging anything.

KDirk

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Beck

Ok where were we? Hi All, I recently cleaned the buttons according to your wonderful cleaning instructions and everything is back to proper functionality in regards to buttons. I still have no Tach, Speedo, Odo or Temp Gauge. I am trying to find all the computer locations to check for connection problems and am trying to find prom versions. If anyone can help me locate the computers I will be able to post info very soon. Until then I will be searching the forum to find info I need. ciao Beck

Guest Beck

Ok I got the ECCpost-100736-143142543508_thumb.jpg out and the prom is ATYH #7-8253

1614 CALIBRATION CODE 1197KM THIS IS A REMANUFACTURED OE ECC

Guest Beck

Another odd bit of information. The used car lot I got the car from had the car in there name. They got it from someone 2 months before I bought it. The title states 113000 miles but the odometer reads 161000 miles. If the Instrument panel merely displays what its told, where is the mileage discrepancy coming from?

I think the mileage is stored in one of the chips in the BCM. I don't know which one. Go into diagnostics and in the BCM section select "Display VIN". Compare it to the VIN on the dash to see if it has the chip in the BCM that came from the factory.

Guest Beck

I have no Idea how to get into diagnostics to check vin # when I press off and temp^ I don't see any reference to the BCM section never mind the vin information.

my current codes read as follows >>>>>no e data, b334c, b671c and b672c. then no r code. Ive got to get the FSM I know.

You should get to know the Reatta On-board Diagnostics Booklet. It is your best friend when are troubleshooting Reatta computer problems. Once you figure out how to use it you will be glad you did.

Those codes are probably related to a cruise control problem. Check all cruise vacuum lines and then test the cruise servo with the following instructions. Cruise Control Servo Electrical Testing

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

One problem: cannot display vin on 90 & 91 models unless you have a GM scan tool (tech 1 or tech 2) as they lack the CRT display. That option is only available in car on the 88 & 89 models.

The odometer and option content for the car (including VIN) is in the smaller of the two chips inside the BCM. This one has 24 pins and is unique to each individual car. The one with 28 pins is the BCM program ROM and is the same across all cars of the same year and model. So, if the mileage is off they may have swapped in a different BCM complete with a EEPROM from a different car. This may also explain the screwed up instrumentation issue as perhaps the BCM contains the wrong program ROM (the larger 28 pin chip).

BCM is located directly behind the glove box nestled in amongst the main HVAC plenum. The complete glove box needs to be removed to gain access. It is in an aluminum enclosure and has three large rectangular connectors much like tbe ECM.

KDirk

• 5 years later...