65 Riv,"Am I missing something?"

lrlforfun

OK Riviera People: Here are a pair of 65 Rivs on the ebay. The silver one is at $24K, the black one at 4 grand with both almost equal time on the ebay. I believe the black one is of similar quality, perhaps a bit better even.

AM I MISSING SOMETHING HERE???? Mitch

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buick-Riviera-Base-Hardtop-2-Door-1965-Buick-Riviera-Hardtop-2-Door-7-0L-/221437163175?forcerrptr=true&hash=item338eaef6a7&item=221437163175&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buick-Riviera-1965-BUICK-RIVIERA-401CI-NAIL-HEAD-V8-PWR-WINDOWS-A-C-FRAME-OFF-RESTORATION-/291143962981?forcerrptr=true&hash=item43c9885165&item=291143962981&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Both are Ebay cars showing "reserve not met". Click the category- Riviera, click "completed items, see the red? If it is on Ebay with a reserve there probably won't be a sale Its just guys going fishing.

Bernie

Guest clamshells

I recently pulled a 5 gal bucket of wires and boxes from my 65 and then ended up replacing 2 complete wiring harnesses due to hacking, splicing and butchering wires for shaved door handles and ghetto crap. Per my personal experience seeing cars with 5+ year old "shaved door handles" and then seeing what these guys do installing their remote control garbage I wouldn't touch that black car.

I have to agree the silver car is in another solor system over the black car.

OK Riviera People: Again, am I missing something? Both cars have the rear lock filled in. The restored car has door panels done by a Tijuana upholstery type shop, the seat covers don't even have buttons. Clam shells are open, 401-425....what's the difference?

True the handles are shaved, again, big deal. The silver car might be restored but I'm not impressed for that price and that action. I have seen much better quality for much less. Bottom line for me? If you don't see these in the flesh you are missing quite a bit. Mitch

I agree, the 24K one looks like a fast cosmetic restoration - shortcuts and non-correct items about. IMO someone's fishin' for a high price. Like they say, a car is only original once, and if you have to do a restoration, the #1 priority is finding a rust free and straight car with which to start as a basis. No sense in paying for someone else's work that may no be up to standards. Also crucial is seeing the car firsthand, bringing lots of magnets.

Guest Gseago

I may be way off base here but the biggest difference I see here is the fact that the silver Riviera is being sold by a dealership (who might be trying to recoup costs for overhead and may think that they can get a better price because they are "professional" whose vehicles are of the "utmost quality". While the black Riviera is being sold by a private owner trying to get what other Rivieras in similar condition as his are selling for or what he believes in a reasonable price.

Edited by Gseago (see edit history)

The silver Riv shows the underside of the engine Blue and the top looks very green to me.

The wood grain is not correct, wrong steering wheel etc .

The black one has piping on drivers seat torn, missing int lens, etc but either would look great in my drive !

Guest clamshells
OK Riviera People: Again, am I missing something? Both cars have the rear lock filled in. The restored car has door panels done by a Tijuana upholstery type shop, the seat covers don't even have buttons. Clam shells are open, 401-425....what's the difference?

True the handles are shaved, again, big deal. The silver car might be restored but I'm not impressed for that price and that action. I have seen much better quality for much less. Bottom line for me? If you don't see these in the flesh you are missing quite a bit. Mitch

I see shaved door handles and cringe. Didn't look that close and stand corrected on several points.

Guest Gseago

I don't see the shaved handles as a problem as long as they are done correctly. I noticed you mentioned them along with other "ghetto crap " which is kinda funny seeing as they we're 1st popularized by guys like George Barris and Bill Hines in the 50s and 60s.

Edited by Gseago (see edit history)

I wasn't crapping on the daily driver car. I was merely saying that something that is a frame off restoration has had more work done to it. As to the level of the work, or what you value it at, i have no idea....but i can definitely appreciate the amount of work that goes into doing a frame off while i am midway through a frame on myself. Would i pay the 24k or do it myself? I paid $600 for a basket case that i am currently performing surgery on, so i would rather do it myself....but i give them something for getting a car to a rust-free state. It obviously underwent a lot of work to get to the state it is in.

1600 people have looked at the multi-page ad for the Texas dealer and there are 4 days to go. Every few pictures you get to see a shot of their display of other cars and the facility. With advertising like that they don't have to sell the car.

I used to sell a lot of literature and automobilia on Ebay and a few cars as well (with no reserve). Once I had quite a pile of Camaro items, brochures, posters, showroom items. I bought a Camaro for around $1,000 and listed it with all the other stuff. The ad said, be sure to check my Camaro collectible stuff for sale. I think I made $500 on the car and cleaned the shelves of Camaro items. Cheap effective advertising.

My guess is that Motor Cars of Dallas is running a cheap advertisement more than they are selling a Riviera. Kind of copying the original marketing scheme of the Riviera. Check their "completed sales". It don't look like St. Patrick's Day there! And all their Ebay sales are 1 bid items.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Is the silver dealer car a true frame off? The different color on the bottom of the engine versus the top is why I bring this up. But, the way the dealer picked the car up with the two post lift is very scary. The entire chassis, rear end, frame, engine and transmission, front suspension, wheels and tires, and bumpers is a lot of weight hanging by the body mount bolts.

The silver car is a fully bastardized non-restored heep. I don't even want to think about how much time and money it would take to get that car back to respectable. The list of undos is huge and I am sure it would grow once you laid eyes on it real-time. The black car is a much better piece at that price and can be made nicer.