Gas Tank - Cleaning and Sealing?

1957buickjim

I have a friend who has just inherited a 1948 Chrysler New Yorker - Archival Classic, hasn't been registered since 1957, and he is looking for a place that will clean, de-rust, and seal his gas tank. I know this isn't a Buick, but it could help those in need of that service for their Buick. Any recommendations? Would especially like one located in the SE Michigan, Toledo area, but will take any and all recommendations. Thanks team

A radiator shop should be able to handle the job. I would repair any leaks or porosity. There is a group of senators in Washington whom think they are engineers and even though they may come up with a mixture that dissolves steel it is a long shot compared to the possibility of solvent that will cause a sealer to peel off.

Then drive the car enough to cycle fuel through the tank and keep it fresh and keep it full.

Bernie

I had a local radiator shop do mine but if I had to do it over again I would not go that route. Some of the material that is used to seal will not hold up under StaBil and other such products. If it is just a clean job that he is looking for try using ethanol. You will be amazed at the results. Will do nothing for rust but will get rid of the gunk and the tank will look like brand new. May take more than one soaking.

My fix to the problem would be a new tank. The cost is not that much more than the cleaning/lining process. If the filler is not quite rite, then make and weld a new filler.

But to answer your original question, google Gas Tank RENU for a local dealer.

My point was no sealer. Weld it, braze, it, coat it with lead. If it doesn't leak slosh it around and get the big chunks out.

In the mid 1990's my daily driver was a '56 Olds that had sit for at least 15 years. Any sample of gas contained very small floating rust "silt". The car never had a problem related to the fine silt in suspension. The only indication was the white tips of the spark plugs being orange whenever I pulled them.

Now, there is a deeper message here- I drew off samples of fuel for various reasons, I pulled the plugs, I maintained the car. That was 20 years ago when I had about 30 years of experience. A Chrysler that has been sitting for over 50 years maybe be more of a curse than an inheritance. Asking this question is easy stuff and the resurrection, nursing to reliability, and fixing all the time deteriorated consumables is not going to get easier or be cheap. They are looking down the barrel of an $8,000 to $10,000 cannon that looks like a tailpipe if things go smoothly. How many times has that first 30 mile drive been the last one. I sure hope it is a convertible. (Don't show then this comment. It might discourage them.)

Looking forward to some pictures even though this is the Buick forum!

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Guest COMPRESSION
I have a friend who has just inherited a 1948 Chrysler New Yorker - Archival Classic, hasn't been registered since 1957, and he is looking for a place that will clean, de-rust, and seal his gas tank. I know this isn't a Buick, but it could help those in need of that service for their Buick. Any recommendations? Would especially like one located in the SE Michigan, Toledo area, but will take any and all recommendations. Thanks team

I am an avid DIY'er, so I used a gas tank sealing kit from KBS Coatings. The inside was not terribly rusty so the process went smoothly and the end result looks great on the inside. The cost of the chemicals from KBS (its a three step process: clean, convert rust, coat) cost me about $60.