Buick - '66 Wildcat Custom Production Volume Question

WildcatMc

:confused:I own a '66 Buick Wildcat Custom 2-Dr Coupe. This car was originally ordered and purchased by by Father-In-Law through Orange Buick in Orlando, FL. We still have the original order ticket signed by my In-Law and the salesman at the dealership. We also have the build sheet that I found upon doing restoration work, which brings me to my question. Production numbers are readily available for all models but I haven't found a source which would allow you to get under the covers for a more granular view. How would you suggest determing the number made that were painted in the same Maroon Mist as mine and outfitted with the same options?

This car appears to be equipped nearly like a GS model, although it doesn't have the 425 engine or the GS option package. That is why I am curious about the number built like mine as it seems to be fairly rare (don't we all think that).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Wouldn't you rather have a Buick?

Phillip McDowell

Jacksonville, FL

Guest my3buicks

Like Ted said, the daily production reports are your best bet - they would provide you for example, how many red cars were made, how many had a/c etc, but they will not tell you how many red cars had a/c etc.

When you say the car is equipped nearly like a GS, what do you mean by that? Loaded out Wildcats are not uncommon especially with it being a custom.

Rare has multiple personalities. One type is where there were not many made. The second type is where there are not many found. I believe the 66 Wildcat is most likely rare in the second type.

Rare may also possess a third personality, and you have that one nailed: a car that is still in the same family from new. That is the rarest of all.. congratulations!

That Maroon Mist is a favorite color for me. How about a few pictures?

Don't forget Ebay and Craigslist rare; "when is the last time you saw one of these?"

I sat in the Brockport Diner having coffee yesterday afternoon for a half an hour. The window looks right out on Main Street and you wouldn't believe how many rare cars I didn't see go by.

Actually, there used to be a site online that had a VIN decoder and itemized options on later cars. And it had a rarity summary. Her is my '94 Impala:

Rarity...

There are 4 1994 CAPRICE CLASSIC 4 DR vehicles (0.004%) matching your exact options list. There are 27 (0.028%) with at least as many options.

My car is really common, why does this indicate that it's rare?

If you parked your car next to one of the hundreds or thousands of similar cars in our database you probably couldn't tell them apart, but that doesn't mean they aren't different.

For example, some may have an RPO listing for the plant in which they were built. If yours was one of only a few that came out of that plant with a given list of options, it would come back as rare. Another car may have all the same options but was built at a different facility and thusly it's considered different.

Bernie

OK Buick People: Rare and desirable are two different things. Just because it's rare doesn't mean it's desirable. Just because it's desirable doesn't mean it's rare. Usually the special interest kind of cars that everybody likes fall under a particular category...and it's the supply and demand that create the market.

I use to always care that the car I had was special. Today? Not so much.. Mitch

The best data is from the Daily Production Reports which lists each option and how many cars were produced with each option. There are certain combinations listed- like 425 engine + power steering and Power brakes.

Color data is there - not many option combinations with colors.

How does one go about getting the Daily Production Reports?

post-80885-143142499973_thumb.jpg

Thanks to all for your responses.

JohnD1956 asked to see a few photos, so I'm attaching a few. Kind of a before, during and after view.Hope you like what we've done. The car was driven up until the early 1980's. Originally belonged to my Father-In-Law. It was his favorite car and the first one he ever bought ordered from the factory just like he wanted. Not sure but may have been his first brand new car. Although he quit driving the car, he could never bear to get rid of it. It sat in a warehouse for much of the time, but practically everything about the car needed restoration.

Our intention was to bring it back as close as possible to original condition. I selected a darker metallic maroon (actually a Cadillac color) for the re-spray, but still think it sticks with the theme. Headliner, vinyl seats, carpet, etc. are re-done in the original factory selections.

Didn't realize my use of the term "rare" would spark such conversation. I'm using the term rare, as in "not many of them made", which is why I was trying to research production information. Iriforfun brought up the whole supply/demand issue - No matter how much value I place in this car, there ain't many people out there willing to pay that much. The market just eats up the Malibu SS's, Camaros, Mustangs, etc. Even an Impala of same vintage and equipment would likely bring more than my car.

my3buicks asked how is the equipped. Here we go:

'66 Buick Wildcat Custom 2-dr Coupe

Maroon Mist

401 Nailhead, 4-bbl Rochester

Turbo Three Speed Automatic

Speed Control

White Interior

Strato Bucket Seats; Driver Side 4-way Power Adjust

Factory A/C

Electric Windows

Power Steering

Power Brakes

Remote Trunk Release (in glove box)

AM Radio

Think that covers it. You don't see that many Buicks from this era now-a-days anyway. I guess they ended up in the junkyard. Too bad the market didn't value these big body cars before most of them were scrapped. My theory is the way this car was ordered, perhaps Buick didn't make too many quite like this. That is why I was trying to find out if the info was available to test my hypothesis.

Enjoy your rides!

Phillip McDowell

Jacksonville, FL

post-80885-143142499895_thumb.jpg

post-80885-143142499924_thumb.jpg

post-80885-143142499926_thumb.jpg

post-80885-14314249995_thumb.jpg