FS - 1965 Riviera on CL

RivNut

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/4451154513.html

http://chambana.craigslist.org/cto/4417347065.html

What else do I have to do when my classes are taking tests but surf CL for ads?

Ed

More time with students testing.

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/cto/4364282664.html The seller says the car has a/c but the alt. bracket is for a non a/c '66 motor.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Guest clamshells

The non running rusted junk around here is going 4500 and 5200 etc. Those are descent looking cars I'd go see them if I was within 100 miles. Maybe start a Riv farm.

OK Clamshells: I track the First Gen Riv on SF Bay Area Craig's List everyday. For me it's almost impossible (unless I make direct contact with the seller) to tell if they're sold, let alone what they "really" go for. Many times they appear, drop off the radar and suddenly re-appear.

Another way to track them is Autotempest.com It sometimes can show "deleted by author" which sometimes (again, it's really hard to tell) can indicate if the vehicle sold. A lot of sometimes which indicated the level of how vague I am. Ebay is also not that conclusive.

There is no doubt that the 65 dwarfs the 63 and 64 in popularity and right now I believe the 65 Riv is a hot car at market price....which is??????? Mitch

It is odd the market is like that. Even Hondas have hidden headlights. Four round headlights coming at you down the road is really something different these days.

And then they took the scoop side trim with body reliefs off and left a slab sided look and a swipe of extruded aluminum cladding takes away from the sculpture.

Then they crammed the tail lights into a shapeless rear bumper.

For style, I would have to rate the order as '64, '63, and '65. Not that there would be any strong opinions out there.

Bernie

For style, I would have to rate the order as '64, '63, and '65. Not that there would be any strong opinions out there.

Bernie

So it all boils down to the hood emblem and the tail light emblems. You can spot a '65 a hundred yards away, can you tell the difference between a 63 and 64 when looking at them from the side from 100 ft.? :)

I'm getting close to 40 years as a Riviera owner. The most frequent question is "Oh, one with the pointed back end?". THEN comes the head light question. Other owners know about the exclusively attractive touches on the '64.

The general public has a sensory issue. Park your car at a cruse in. Vision is not acute enough. They really can't see all of the car. If it is not running they can't hear in. Sometimes they might comment if they smell gas or if you recently booted out a mouse nest. Even with the best candy colors they never actually get their tongue on the car and taste it. From my experience at car shows, the only highly developed sense is touch, And they want to get their grubby mitts all over the car. It is, from observation, the only sensory connection most people have with the world.

Now, blindfolded, those people would feel that bombsight on the hood and figure out the taillights in braille.

The original Riviera is an American knockoff of a Bentley. It is the details that make the knockoff work. The third year restyle departed from that and Americanized the success. Then they headed way off afield for 15 years. In 1979 both the Riviera and the Eldorado mirrored the feel and shape of the Rolls/Bentley cars again. If you can wrangle a test drive of a 1970's Silver Shadow or Bentley you'll wonder why the gauges aren't labeled "Rolex". With the unibody cars the 1990's LeSabre subtly took on Jaguar ogee and stance. Bentley shifted to an Audi A8 platform and Buick renewed the chase with the flying B emblem and, lacking a Riviera, did the current LaCrosse, Bentley knockoff.

This whole thing started in 1937 and 1938 when the Royal Family bought a couple of Roadmasters. So I'm a bit sidetracked, but having fun. And I do have reasons I like the '64 best (the real subtle inside joke is the knockoff Rolex I wear when I drive it........ just in memory of Mr. Mitchell. Now that's detail.)

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1

When I think of the differences between the 63/64 vs 65 the horseshoe molding and tail light/bumper differences are much further down on my list. #1 most most people's list are the clamshell headlights. So once you get past that the things I find most interesting are:

* The leather seat option in the '63s (awesome)

* The metallic dash in the '64 is terrific in addition to the all wood inserts (in the deluxe interior option)

* The standard 425 on the '64 is cool

* The switch pitch in the '65 is really high on my list

* The handling option in the '65

Obviously the list above assumes a non-GS '65. If its a GS, that's a different story.

• 3 years later...
On 5/5/2014 at 6:32 PM, 60FlatTop said:

It is odd the market is like that. Even Hondas have hidden headlights. Four round headlights coming at you down the road is really something different these days.

And then they took the scoop side trim with body reliefs off and left a slab sided look and a swipe of extruded aluminum cladding takes away from the sculpture.

Then they crammed the tail lights into a shapeless rear bumper.

Bernie

Bernie, lean and clean with great design is what I like. Simple and effective operation of an automobile is important to me. I had to replace a bell arm on hoax control unit. Some or one of the air flow doors are/is not working right. I'm repairing the AC and heater on my 63 and I would not think it is the best design. Cable operation of the doors on heating and cooling I suppose could be done another way. So much for good design.

Everyone has their favorite for some reason or a combination of reasons.  Bill Mitchell envisioned the car with concealed headlights from the get go but it took a couple of years to make it happen.

I think the 65 was the first GM car to have tail lights fitted into the rear bumper?  I know the Thunderbirds had tail lights as part of the overall rear bumper design prior to the 65 Riv but look how many copied that in the following years.  

The merits of every year/generation of Riviera have a fan base but just having one is what counts.  My two cents.

Edited by Pat Curran
update content (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pat Curran said:

Everyone has their favorite for some reason or a combination of reasons.  Bill Mitchell envisioned the car with concealed headlights from the get go but it took a couple of years to make it happen.

I think the 65 was the first American car to have tail lights fitted into the bumper?  Look how many copied that in the following years.  

The merits of every year/generation has a fan base but just having one is what counts.  My two cents.

Pat, I like your "two cents worth". Design for reliability, functionality,and good looks were always important to me. Our family owned Chevies and Buicks.

i fell in love with the 63-65 Buick Rivieras AND 61-64 Chevrolet Impalas as a boy living in Los Angeles in the 60's. I settled on  the 63 Riv because of the condition I believed it to be at the time of purchase. $21,500. Was no steal, but fair for originality and condition. I enjoy the Dyno Flow transmission. I go easy on my car as I want it to last.