Thread repair kits

Shakadula

Hi Everyone, I recently installed a new fuel pump in my GS and the right bolt hole in the block is stripped. I can get a little traction but can't torque to spec. Anyone ever used Loctite thread repair with any luck?

I have a strong gas smell and although I can't see a leak, I suspect I have one at the fuel pump. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated as I want to drive my car without fear.

Thanks

Probably a 5/16 bolt. Max torque recommended for that size bolt by LocTite is only 45 INCH pounds. Plus there is the cyclical stress of the pump arm. Better consider a heli coil or other thread repair system..........Bob

They work well the trouble is you will need to drill the hole bigger, thread the hole with a special tap and install the insert with a special tool. Could be a problem if you don't have room to work. If there is room probably cheaper if you can find someone familiar with them to do the job for you..............Bob

Hi Everyone, I recently installed a new fuel pump in my GS and the right bolt hole in the block is stripped. I can get a little traction but can't torque to spec. Anyone ever used Loctite thread repair with any luck?

I have a strong gas smell and although I can't see a leak, I suspect I have one at the fuel pump. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated as I want to drive my car without fear.

Thanks

Well, the first problem you have is that there should be NO gasoline leaking from the fuel pump-to-block joint. The opening goes into the crankcase, so any fuel you smell either means that the diaphragm in the pump is leaking or you have a fuel leak unrelated to the stripped thread. I believe your Buick uses an aluminum front cover, so the thread goes into the cover, not the cast iron block. Heli-Coils are easy to install if you have the room to drill the hole and tap it. If not, you'll be removing the front cover, at which point you MIGHTASWELL do the timing chain also... :D

• 4 weeks later...
Helicoil thread repair kits are expensive. About $45 for each kit depending on size and each kit works on only one size thread. Properly installed they are stronger than the original threads.

Where the heck do you buy parts? Kits in this size range 5/16 to 3/8 run about $17 on line. Google is your friend.

All the years I have been repairing threads I would NEVER use Helicoils! Reminds me too much of a slinky. Keenserts are the way to go. Google them for the best price.

In the future if you want to tap aluminum use a 2 fluted tap. 3 & 4 fluted taps don't leave enough clearance for the chip to break so it "drags" it thru your new threads.

Bill

I prefer Helicoils over Keenserts because the Helicoil uses a smaller tapped hole, which can be better when you have a thin cross section. I'd also rather remove a Helicoil than a Keensert! I've installed thousands of both with good success.

The reality is that both insert styles have their place. As noted, Helicoils require a smaller diameter hole, which is important if the hole being repaired doesn't have a lot of edge distance. Keenserts have the advantage of the locking tabs, so they absolutely will not back out when you remove the bolt. This is a big problem on Helicoils, especially if you are using locking Helicoils.

Guest Magoo

For those who prefer solid thread inserts, Time-Serts are a good alternative. Especially nice in spark plug bores.