big day

coast

Well after about 20 years of off and on work I am finally going to get my car back on the road tomorrow. This is the 3rd time I have made this statement. The first time, after 5 miles I spun a bearing on the crank. We rebuilt the motor and went for a test drive and the transmission went out. Tomorrow I get it back with a rebuilt transmission. I cant imagine having anymore major issues.

This car has been in my family since 1966, it was my moms car. She is 83 now and I can wait to be able to take her for a ride. Hopefully that will happen this weekend and we will have smooth sailing. lol

Thanks to all for all of you support, advice and answers to my questions. Especially you Ed!

Bob L.

Well 6 days after I posted this I got the car back. Seems the trans guy had a spring in backwards. So I got to go for my first drive, about 10 miles and it ran great. But then....... it started spitting and sputtering and stalled. I am like what now, was it the new motor or the new trans? Well after lifting the hood, I noticed through my newly installed clear gas filter, NO GAS.. Lol.. I installed a new sending unit and I guess I did not dial in the arm very close as the tank read I had a quarter tank. No big deal easily fixed, just happy to have the car back running and drivable. Great Day!!!!

Tom,

This car was purchased in Long Beach California by a man who owned a liquor store. My dad delivered bread to his store. When my dad saw the car he told the guy if he ever sold it he would like for shot. Well 1 year later he told my dad he was ready to sell it. I think I heard my dad gave 2500 for it. My mom drove it and thought she was a queen, while my dad tried to figure out how he was going to pay of it. We moved to Las Vegas in 1968 and my mom drove it until about 74 I am guessing. SHe got a 4 door electra, go figure. The car sat for a while, then my dad took it back to Kansas for my Grandma to drive. She did not drive it long as she could not afford the gas. It sat back there in a barn for a few years, and while I was back there working my dad gave it to me. We hauled it back to vegas where it sat again for a few years. A man aproached my dad wanting to buy it, this would have been in the late 80s. I sold it to him for 2000 and my dad financed it. Well he brought it to a tow yard and again it sat and he did not make payments. So after a year I went and repo ed it. I had moved back to california by then and had it brought to my home in mission viejo. It was covered in surface rust and did not make a good first impression with the neighbors. Well I got to work and got all the body stripped and then got a call I was being relocated to Atlanta. So of we went with the buick to Ga. In Ga I had it painted, yes I went back to the stock dark green and for the next 10 years it sat in my garage. It did not run very well. Fast forward, I have a tenant who is a mechanic, could not pay his rent so I traded him rent to get this car back on the road. He got it running and everything working, went for a drive and spun a bearing on the crank. We the two of us rebuilt the motor, pretty much stock, upgraded the cam and headers were added. It fired right up and ran better then I could have imagined. Took it out for a test drive and bam no transmission. Well today I got it back and I think it is finally pretty solid. On final detail I just thought about. The driver side window has scratches in it, my mom told me that lady who first owned it had a large diamond ring and somehow would hit the window and put the scratches in it. That is the story, hope I did not bore you.