Tips/Tricks for Installing Door Weatherstripping on early 50s Buick

beerczar1976

I got tired of mopping rain off of the currently bare floors of my project '50 Special and ordered a set of front and rear door weatherstrips from Steele Rubber. If you were wondering why, the car was painted by prior owner, and doesn't currently have weatherstrips in place, thus a small lake each time there's a heavy rainstorm. :)

Anyone with some tips/tricks into putting these in place? I know most of it will be glue in with weatherstrip adhesive, but I know that the Parts Manual does list some clips and retainers for a few spots, mostly near the door bottoms and along the front door hinge pillar if memory serves correctly. I do have the "long squiggly" metal weatherstrip retainers for the front door that attach with screws, so I'm lucky there. I've got a TON of other little clips and retainers in unmarked bags as well.

If someone could post up or e-mail me some pics of their '50's weatherstripping, I'd appreciate it. I probably have all the hardware, but pics make it easier to figure out what's what. I've done a few image searches online, but nothing really shows close-up.

Thanks!!

Another before you glue trick is to tape the rubber in place and close the door on a five dollar bill. It should be pinched in place. I have a set in my tool box. A one for Ford and Chevy, a five for Buicks, a ten for Caddies, and a fifty for Rolls-Royce and Bentley.

Bernie

Guest 53 Roady

I am following this thread with great interest. The interior for the 53 Roady was put in the trunk between 1986 and 1990. I too am ordering rubber from Steele. Any pics and tips are needed.

Pat

Will a $2 bill work?

53 Roady, I'll see if I can hijack the family digital camera and put up some pics of my progress. Waiting for my weatherstrips to arrive; will probably be a project for next weekend depending on weather.

I did get to doing an oil change on my Special this weekend. Let's just say, I think this was the first time the oil had been changed in a LOOONNGG time! Black as the day it probably came from the ground, LOL. Well, maybe not that black, but dirty for sure. I put in 10W-30, Car Quest brand for now. I'm still exploring whether I need any type of zinc additive to put in, but nonetheless, it's fresh oil, better than what was in it; no leaks, or smoking. I'll be attempting to bleed the brakes soon too. Accidentally ordered two rear hoses and one front instead of vice-versa, so waiting for second front to arrive.

As this was my first venture under the car, fuel lines may be a future project down the road; seeing some surface rust in places that didn't look all that healthy, but everything is holding. I think I'll change the sending unit too with the fuel lines. I know tank is beyond full and gauge is showing only around 1/2 to 3/4 at times.

53 Roady, I'll see if I can hijack the family digital camera and put up some pics of my progress. Waiting for my weatherstrips to arrive; will probably be a project for next weekend depending on weather.

I think I'll change the sending unit too with the fuel lines. I know tank is beyond full and gauge is showing only around 1/2 to 3/4 at times.

Just a fyi... My '50 used a cork float in the tank! It was disintegrating so I found a brass one that clipped right on to the existing mount. I guess it was a somewhat universal design float.

Phil