Spare Tire Cover 1963 Riviera

DrP

Searched threads and didn't find info on my question; I have shelf mounted (correct for build date) spare. This car is relatively unmolested - jack in it's correct mounting and all trunk covers intact and good condition, etc-and it has two covers for the spare tire. One cover is a grey fiber material with no elastic and it just fits full over the tire. The other is a "half cover" in the original tan fabric with brown piping and elastic band. I've seen photos of other cars with this half cover but not the grey full cover. Is this how the shelf mounted spares came on June and later production cars? My dilemma; now that I have put on 215/75 R15 radial tires the grey cover fits over the spare but the tan cover with elastic does not fit over half the spare obviously because the radial tire is larger than original bias ply tire. Has anyone else had this problem? Suggested solution(s)? Dale

Any idea about the grey cloth fiber full cover? Could it be factory? This car is unmolested w/ less than 25K miles and been in storage for past 28 yrs and I'm second owner. Trunk is very clean and original so that makes me wonder about how/what this grey cover is used. If this were a "show" car what would judges say re tire cover? I understand the 1/2 round tan is correct for this car but was the grey full cover put over the tire then the tan put on the 1/2 of tire showing on the shelf mount? This may just slicing the bologna thinner and thinner but........

Any idea about the grey cloth fiber full cover? Could it be factory?

No.

This car is unmolested w/ less than 25K miles and been in storage for past 28 yrs and I'm second owner. Trunk is very clean and original so that makes me wonder about how/what this grey cover is used. If this were a "show" car what would judges say re tire cover? I understand the 1/2 round tan is correct for this car but was the grey full cover put over the tire then the tan put on the 1/2 of tire showing on the shelf mount? This may just slicing the bologna thinner and thinner but........

No. Just the tan cover.

• 3 years later...

Found this old thread and thought I would ask if anyone knows where to get the  original tan cloth with foam backing trunk material that as in the first generation Rivs . I understand Jenkins was at one time supplying this material but so far unable to connect with them . Has anyone found an acceptable alternative that is even half way close ?   Thanks 

KReed

ROA 14549

5 hours ago, kreed said:

Found this old thread and thought I would ask if anyone knows where to get the  original tan cloth with foam backing trunk material that as in the first generation Rivs . I understand Jenkins was at one time supplying this material but so far unable to connect with them . Has anyone found an acceptable alternative that is even half way close ?   Thanks 

KReed

ROA 14549

Clark's has the correct stuff with tire cover but, very pricey. CARS, Inc. has a very nice alternative that is inexpensive and looks nice. Includes the half tire cover. It is actually listed for a 65 but, I put it in my 63 and am very happy with it. Part # TM65R.

Bill

IMG_2031.JPG

Jenkins was the closest but still not exact.  Everything else is not even that close, but presently, it's all that's out there. There are no red or dark brown threads in the other reproductions.  If you ever find a good piece of an original for comparison purposes, you'll definitely see the differences.