Want someone to write 1979-85 Riviera article for Buick Bugle

Pete Phillips

Assuming my BCA Editor's contract is renewed by the BCA Board this month, I am searching for a BCA member to write a feature article on the 1979-1985 Buick Rivieras for later this year. I have owned one of those cars and driven/worked on three of them, and after those experiences, I am not the one to write the article because it will be too negative. They are beautiful, still popular cars though, and deserve a nice spread in the Bugle later this year. Any takers? I can assist with photos and statistics and sales brochures to help illustrate the article. We have plenty of time, as it will probably appear in the last half of this year.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Tx.

Edited by Pete Phillips (see edit history)

Pete, my mind was about ten words ahead of you when I read that. I like those cars, but always looked at them as a stogie American, slightly underpowered Rolls-Royce style.

However, backing out is not the discretionary move of all authors. If anyone has ever looked at a copy of The Cadillac Buyer's Guide by Richard Langworth, http://www.amazon.com/Illustrated-Cadillac-Buyers-Richard-Langworth/dp/0879382090, it will crack you up. About 10 minutes into reading it the first time I thought "Geeez, couldn't they find a guy that at least liked Cadillacs to write this book?". I read it in the 1990's and it is still the best example of writing for groceries I have ever seen.

Just a flashback.

Bernie

Guest my3buicks

Pete, do you care to start another thread to elaborate on the crumb you dropped about your contract with the BCA, I would say if your contract is not renewed the truly only positive thing about being a BCA member would end and I would guess many memberships would not be renewed. Of course I know of another BCA contract that should have been terminated years ago.

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

Jayson would be excellent for this one. Isn't he the ROA technical advisor for those years.

In my opinion, it's too much to cover in one comprehensive article. There's the 79's, T Types, S Types, special editions, convertibles, too much for one 10 page spread.

My parents and grandparents gave me a new 81 Riviera when I was 16. I took care of the car beyond belief and that model will always have a special place in my heart, although I am well aware of their many shortcomings. I hope to see such an article.

1979 Motor Trend Car of the Year the 1979 Riviera, i so wanted one, but the payment was going to be more than my rent. Poor things were all built in Linden, New Jersey, not the worse plant in GM at the time, but..... I had a 1985, I ordered, wouldn't take delivery cause the paint was already coming off the road wheels, eventually I did, it ended up a rust bucket in NY, cause I had it undercoated and Momma didn't get it washed.

BTW Moderators will be watching this thread so, be careful, even though the couple of points so far are well taken IMO.

Guest wildcat465

Pete,

I am confident you will be the editor when it is time for this article.

I would like submit something as well about these cars, I have a bit of passion for them and hope my 1984 project is ready to show off this summer.

Pete,

I am confident you will be the editor when it is time for this article.

I would like submit something as well about these cars, I have a bit of passion for them and hope my 1984 project is ready to show off this summer.

"LIKE!!"

Pete,

I suspect that I may be the inspiration for your request, having written to you recently when I was seriously considering buying a low mileage '85 Riviera, and wondered if there had been any articles in The Bugle. Your comments were helpful, and I have the car in the barn - dreaming of the day when snow, salt, and mud will be gone from Vermont roads. I will enjoy getting to know my new car, a far different animal from my '55 Super, but in some ways a clear descendant.