Does anyone know where to get get quotes to move a 53 foot box trailer of car parts?

auburnseeker

I'm in the process of negotiating a purchase of car parts near Kansas City Missouri. They are already loaded in a 53 foot box trailer that's road worthy and ready to go. I need to get a ball park price to move them to Warrensburg NY. The price will include the trailer so the driver will only have to hook up and go then unhook here of course that's if the trailer passes the driver's inspection. Does anyone know where I can go to find someone to haul the trailer? I know I still need to get the weight as that will be a factor as to having it hauled. The good thing is I'm pretty sure I will have a month or two to pick it up.

I kind of need an idea of how much it will cost to move it before I can make an offer. Is there a rough rule of thumb for $ to mile? The good thing is it looks like it is 30 miles to a major interstate and I'm only 3 miles off the interstate here.

Any suggestions? I googled it and got a few websites but like everything else it returned several pages of results.

Thanks in advance for any help or direction.

There are two problems with your request.

First, If the trailer has been out of service, a driver would be wary about moving a trailer without a complete brake and wheel inspection.

Second, The driver may have to bob tail back home which will increase the price almost double.

The flip side, you may find a driver through a broker, that is heading your way without a trailer.

Just for an idea, try, http://carriagetowntrucking.com/ He is a car guy and may be able to help. Tell him that I recommended him.

Thanks for the lead. I figured the trailer would have to be inspected by the driver regardless of anyone hauling it. I wouldn't haul anything I didn't know the history of without a personal inspection. Just another gray area of the deal. I need to find a way to get the weight as well. I know car parts can get real heavy fast.

It would require a current DOT inspection

Perhaps it goes without saying, but the trailer would also have to be plated & registered. In some states getting that requires a state inspection.

My question for Auburnseeker is this: is the trailer worth having? Could the deal be renegotiated so that you leave the trailer behind and have the parts loaded into a ready-to-roll tractor-trailer rig which would then be unloaded at your location? Of course that creates an issue on the front end with getting the parts loaded up, but that may be an easier nut to crack than having a driver show up only to (possibly) find a trailer that he can't or won't pull.

If you really do want the trailer as part of the deal or don't want to mess with transferring the load to another trailer, just know that the type of service you're looking for is called "power only shipping." It's really not that easy to find as most trucking companies want to either pull their own trailers or won't run a tractor only to the pickup and don't want to end up with no trailer to pull back for the return trip.

Perhaps it goes without saying, but the trailer would also have to be plated & registered. In some states getting that requires a state inspection.

My question for Auburnseeker is this: is the trailer worth having? Could the deal be renegotiated so that you leave the trailer behind and have the parts loaded into a ready-to-roll tractor-trailer rig which would then be unloaded at your location? Of course that creates an issue on the front end with getting the parts loaded up, but that may be an easier nut to crack than having a driver show up only to (possibly) find a trailer that he can't or won't pull.

If you really do want the trailer as part of the deal or don't want to mess with transferring the load to another trailer, just know that the type of service you're looking for is called "power only shipping." It's really not that easy to find as most trucking companies want to either pull their own trailers or won't run a tractor only to the pickup and don't want to end up with no trailer to pull back for the return trip.

I have given that a thought as well. I would like to have the trailer as well but it may be easier to buy a trailer and have it here to load when the shipment arrived than pull the unknown trailer that's their. I also would have to register it as that has expired so more things to consider along with just leaving the trailer their. Next thing is how much of a charge I will incur to load the truck their if there is limited help. Here there won't be a problem. I was thinking buy another 53 footer so it's a back up to and transfer. I think used trailers are around 2000-2500 I know my 28 footer was only 1200 delivered.

Guest turbofish38

Former OTR driver and CDL holder chiming in. Do a search for freight brokers. DAT(Dial-A-Truck) is probably the largest brokerage around. Find a local broker and they most likely are associated with DAT. They should be able to supply you with a qoute for any of the logistics problems you seem to have. Assuming your trailer can pass an inspection I don't think it would be neccesary to plate it just for a single load. And even than its a permanent plate instead of the annual plate for an average utility type trailer. Another option would be to lease a container so that you could load/unload on your schedule.

I'm still waiting to hear back from the seller. I called him and got some info, then he was going to call me back when he got home and send me some photos of the contents, but I haven't heard from him since. Hopefully he gets back in touch pretty soon so I can get this taken care of. I'm sure he's reputable. He's a Chevy dealer and he gave me the whole history of his business. He currently is still a Chevy dealer so I'm not dealing with a middle man.

The only problem with the container is it's a 53 foot trailer full so 40 foot won't handle it and finding help on the pickup end to transfer a load may be hard to say the least.

How much does the trailer weight with all of its contents. As you mention, auto parts tend to be very heavy and there are restrictions on what can be trucked on the highways. And for good reason as an overweight trailer is a real danger to everyone on the road. It is possitble that you might have to split up the material and ship it in multiple trailers or containers.

I heard back from the dealership owner who is still running the new Dealership they moved to. He had the head of his delivery department quit out of the blue and has had to cover their position until he finds a replacement. He said he'll get me more info in a few days once he gets that position covered.

As far as the Low Boy, Being it's a 53 foot trailer, I think the height not to mention the length will be a problem. He mentioned he knew of some guys that could haul it but we hadn't gotten into that when I last talked to him. I'm not sure he is aware of how far it has to be moved though. If he has someone in the area, though, that may work as they can inspect the trailer before giving me a price.

Thanks for the ideas and concerns. It's all things I need to take into consideration.

hi, depending on truck and trailer, what I drive will weigh 36,000 to 37,000 lbs empty with me in the driver's seat, and I'm a big guy. legal max weight on a truck and trailer is 80,000 lbs, that means a max of 12,500 on the steering axle (if the total is less than 80,000), max on the drive dual axles is 34,000 lbs, and max on the trailer's tandem axles is 34,000 lbs. if the truck used for hauling the trailer has a APU unit, another 400 lbs is allowed on the drive axles. so if you have a truck and trailer and full load of fuel weighing in at 37,000 lbs, you can load up to 42,000 + lbs and still be under the 80,000 lbs max. I have had total weights coming in at 79,900 lbs. Charles Coker, 1953 Pontiac tech advisor, 16 year veteran professional truck driver.

hi, depending on truck and trailer, what I drive will weigh 36,000 to 37,000 lbs empty with me in the driver's seat, and I'm a big guy. legal max weight on a truck and trailer is 80,000 lbs, that means a max of 12,500 on the steering axle (if the total is less than 80,000), max on the drive dual axles is 34,000 lbs, and max on the trailer's tandem axles is 34,000 lbs. if the truck used for hauling the trailer has a APU unit, another 400 lbs is allowed on the drive axles. so if you have a truck and trailer and full load of fuel weighing in at 37,000 lbs, you can load up to 42,000 + lbs and still be under the 80,000 lbs max. I have had total weights coming in at 79,900 lbs. Charles Coker, 1953 Pontiac tech advisor, 16 year veteran professional truck driver.

I saw those numbers posted on a trucking site I was looking at for quotes (for what they would haul along with what type of trailer they had) but thanks for breaking them down to see where they came from. A few were more? (very few) but is that due to having overweight or R permits? My Dad hauled wood for years and they had R which I assume were restricted permits which allowed them more weight but I can't remember the amount over they were allowed. Of course that was for relatively short hauls of say 120-200 miles on only certain roads within a single state. It was fun riding along as a kid and teenager in the woods and to the mill. The highlight of course was stopping at a diner and getting out of the big truck for coffee and breakfast or Doughnuts.