64 KX Car Recently Sold on Ebay

JZRIV

Just ran across this completed auction. Interesting car and project. Think the buyer and seller should both be happy. Origianl CA black plate car with matching KX engine and limtied slip rear axle helps make the effort and cost required to get it back on the road worthwhile. Looks like a nice project. Hopefully the floors aren't rusty.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-BUICK-RIVIERA-w-GRAN-SPORT-OPTION-barn-find-NUMBERS-MATCHING-CA-BLK-PLATES-/231154029578?item=231154029578&forcerrptr=true&pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item35d1da940a&nma=true&si=QdYJhhUlGM%252BwvGq7zIT0eUbgFDg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The A8 enigne option 1n '64was exactly the same as the LX engine in the '65 - most of which were part of the Gran Sport option. There were 454 1965 Rivieras built with this engine that did not include the Gran Sport option. So yes, the valve covers, air cleaner, a/c bracket, distributor, cam, et al were the same.

Ed

Looking at the engine bay pics closer, that car has some very serious corrosion going on all around the engine. Look at the fuel filter. Almost unrecognizable. Wire loom bracket at right side rear spark holder is rusted in half. The carbs could require a whole bunch of jingle to revive. The body exterior seemed to survive much better than under the hood. This must have sat outside for at least 20-25 years. Nice thing is it looks pretty unmolested.

I'm not clear on the title.

The Ebay title field says 'Clear', but the seller states that he does not have the title and that it cannot be located. Seller also states that title is no longer in the DMV records. Since he has the original California black plates it seems the record should be easy to find for the DMV (they have the VIN from the car AND the black plates). Is this an inconsistency, or am I missing something?

Will the car now have to be titled as 'restored/salvaged'?

I would think that by clear title he only means there are no liens against it. If he is in fact the last owner of record and he has the plates, I would think that he could easily apply for a lost title. But Californians have their own way of doing things; unlike us farm boys in Kansas where we operate on the KISS principle.

Ed

OK Riviera People: These things must be really hot for everyone to get excited at 4 grand. That would be almost the right car to do (65 is the one, duh) color and equipment but it is really a rough mama, although not as rough as some I have come across. I think that even doing it yourself it's a minimum of 5-6K just to get it so you could start it up and take it to the store.

I'm going to guess that when this market cools off, and that is just a matter of time, there are going to be a slug of old cars like this on the market with owners waking up and wanting to bail only to find they are going to loose big time.

Black plates. Again meaningless. The car still needs a big pile of money thrown at it. BTW, if the car is out of the CA DMV system and comes back no reg found the black plates gotta go unless....there is some registration or official CA document that shows the plates and vin match. Mitch