Brag on your swag..MPG

Black_Baby

who gets what? Whats the best to be expected and what is the worst? While, we are at it, has anyone installed any type of aftermarket chip for performance or fuel economy? Was it worth it? I know there's a bunch of folks hunkered down due to the weather, so let's get this going.

Guest HessLakeGuy

On the way to and from the the 2012 meet in Charlotte our white 1989 averaged slightly over 27 mpg. It was just about all expressway driving.

Tom

Guest Corvanti

26+ mpg last May on a 365 mile round trip on bad spark plugs/wires and 10% ethanol:( fuel. "city only" mileage not so good - 16 to 18 mpg. i'm hoping to improve on that a bit as i replaced the front (easy) 3 plugs/wires and have to take a 140 mile trip tomorrow. i'll get to the back 3 when i'm able...:o

Edit: no chip on the Reatta. if someone has had success, i might be interested - but from i've heard, the chips are like "snake oil". don't do much except empty the wallet.

Edited by Corvanti (see edit history)

Corvanti......... does the tech school in Wilmington still have the 1991 Reatta convertible. I stopped around 2000 looked at it and snapped some pictures, it was outside the auto shop and homeless people were sleeping in it. The broke the passenger seat recliner so it would lay back.

Guest Corvanti
Corvanti......... does the tech school in Wilmington still have the 1991 Reatta convertible. I stopped around 2000 looked at it and snapped some pictures, it was outside the auto shop and homeless people were sleeping in it. The broke the passenger seat recliner so it would lay back.

Barney, i have no knowledge of the '91 convertible. if it is still in Wilmington, North Carolina - moderator "MC Hinson" should know. he also lives here.:)

re: original topic - just got back from my trip. i only got 24.2 mpg according to the CRT.:( i'll check the mpg the "old fashioned way" when i fill the tank - probably tomorrow. around 30 miles city and 110 miles on the interstate...

Guest my3buicks

I get 28 routinely on the highway with the 90 convertible, pulled 30 going to the BCA nationals this summer, traveling at night with no traffic. My average just running around and down to the city is 22 mpg.

I find that the onboard trip computer is never super accurate. It is typically within a MPG or so, more accurate in city driving than actual highway driving.

My last tank, which was TOTALLY city driving with only a few short periods of highway speeds (intercity freeways) was 17.2 MPG. Over the holidays, we took the Reatta on two extended road trips, one of 385mile each way and the other 465 each way. On those trips the milage ran between 24+ and 28 MPG. The low end was due to fighting a strong headwind, so if you toss that one out, then the milage was significantly more consistent (around 27MPG). The road trips all were driven at highway speeds of 75MPH (legal on the roads we traveled).

My 91 Reatta coupe got 29 mpg average when I drove it to the 2013 BCA Nationals in South Bend, IN, from MA keeping it at just under 70. I got the same mileage in my 92 Riv coupe (same engine model) while driving it to the 2013 ROA Nationals in Lexington, KY, from MA...again keeping it under 70. I tend to take my time when traveling....