GPS HOOK UP IN AN ANTIQUE 6V CAR??

Guest jimstulga

Guest jimstulga

There are times a GPS navigation system would come in handy in my 6V antique car, but is this possible? if "yes", who sells a converter for this? Thanks, Jim

Turns out that many, perhaps most, GPS units and smart phones with GPS capability charge off of 5v USB power. For a long while I rigged a simple 5v voltage regulator wired to a USB cable plug under my dash just being careful not to touch the negative "ground" on the USB connector shield to the positive ground of the car.

But I'm thinking about simply wiring in what the accessory section of the parts book called a "cigar lighter" to the output of a 6v+ to 12v- converter. That would give me more flexibility to charge and run other types of low power devices. Something like this: http://www.classiccarstereos.com/category/6-to-12-Volt-Converters.html

Guest jimstulga

Power inverter looks like a good idea, but then came the reply to just plug it into the car lighter as is. I don't want to fry my GPS, so am wary, but maybe I'll try it if there are any others doing the same thing? Thanks. Jim

Here is my solution: 6 to 12V converter with some reverse wiring and an cigar lighter bundled into. Works with my TomTom (speedo on 29 Chrysler is actually showing 2% below real speed, more accurate than most moderns) and mobile phone charger. But such devices are also available across the counter I've heard.

post-59101-143142374661_thumb.jpg

. . . on a 1953 Buick Special with 6 volts negative ground with no problem. . .

That make sense to me. Now the question is, does jimstulga have a positive or negative ground system on his car?

Edit: Looks like jimstulga has a '41 Cadillac based on his posts. My '53 Chilton's shows the '40 through '42 Cadillac models as having a positive ground electrical system. Looks like they changed in '46 to negative ground.

I'd be surprised if a GPS would charge off that directly and would not be surprised if it damaged or destroyed the charging circuitry in the GPS if you reverse the power polarity.

Edited by ply33 (see edit history)

Guest jimstulga

Jim here, I didn't think of the positive ground difference. Glad I waited before trying it. I have a 41 Caddy, 53 Packard and '30 Chrysler Junior all with 6v positive ground, so looks like the best solution for me is to go with a power converter OR like the one answer suggested, upgrade my cell phone and use that.

Jim,

Another option might be a small 12 volt battery (commonly used in alarm systems, trailer breakaway switches or computer backups and hook a cigarette lighter plug to it and then you can transfer it from car to car. If fully charged I would think it would run a gps for quite a while.

Carl

Guest jimstulga

Bingo!! Thanks Larry for the jump box suggestion. I have one and just checked and it does have a cigar lighter plug. For the few times I will need it, this seems the easiest solution. Thanks to all for your help! Jim