Help with my 63 riviera motor

Guest Rocknroll57

Guest Rocknroll57

This morning I checked my dip stick and it looks like water got into the oil. I was wondering if I can just get the heads rebuilt or do I have to get the whole motor rebuilt? Please help with any advice

You have to identify how the water got in in the first place. Cracked block? Head gasket? Flood or rain from having the hood off?

If you haven't run the engine a lot with the water in there is may be possible to save the lower end. If the lower end could use a rebuild, then just do them both if you can.

I'm thinking condensation too, especially if coolant level is normal and there have been a few warm day/cold day cycles or it has been very humid where you live.

Change oil and filter and run the engine up to operating temperature, then let it run for a while to boil off condensate and other impurities. Make sure the PCV or breather tube system is working too.

How do you know there is water in the oil? A certain amount of condensation is normal this time of year. If it is full of water that is different. Is it water or antifreeze? If you left the cooling system with water instead of antifreeze and it froze you could be in serious trouble.

Speaking of condensation make sure you all have the gas tanks topped off.