Anyone ever rebuilt the rear brake cylinders?

heygibb

Hey folks.

A few months ago, I did a complete overhaul in the front...new rotors, lines, rebuilt cylinders, pads.

I decided to let the rears be for awhile, since there was no issue there yet. Now, I have an issue. The right rear cylinder appears to be leaking. I haven't taken if off yet, but it is dripping fluid. I am thinking about using one of the kits available to overhaul it vs. buying a new/reman complete cylinder.

Can I get any feedback, one vs. the other? I didn't have any trouble on the front cylinders but there appear to be more parts to this rebuild. Thanks

I suspect you will have problems finding repair kits. The rears can be rebuilt, but you will need seals. The next option is rebuilt units or new.

Don't the seals come w/ the kits? The kits I see on Rock Auto look like they do.

I guess not many folks have rebuilt these things. I'm not afraid of trying something new,but still like to get first hand knowledge of the process. I think I'll try it and have the option of getting the remans as a backup choice.

I screwed up. I suffered a bout of CRS..."can't remember stuff"...during this rebuild. I usually take pics and notes of what I am taking apart, but overlooked this component. I rebuilt the rear cylinder but ended up w/ a metal washer left over. I hate it when that happens! I looked over the other wheel's brakes, and could not locate it as an exterior component. I figured it had to be internal to the cylinder. I tried putting it behind the square edged O-ring on the threaded shaft, that extends out of the finished rebuild. It kept the thread from extending out far enough, from my assessment, and I removed it. After I put it all together, minus the washer, I remounted and bled the system. At first, brakes worked fine, and no warning lights. After about 10 minutes into my test drive, idiot ABS and Brake lights came on. I got home and checked under the wheel...massive fluid leak from the threaded stem area. I will have to redo things. So, before I figure this out, I am fishing for anyone who knows where this washer goes, please chime in. It would certainly comfort me. I need comforting. lol

Here are some pics of the components...post-31083-1431423245_thumb.jpg

I forgot I had the digital manual. Here is the re-assembly diagram. The washer is the thrust washer and goes where I had it to begin with...live and learn.

Thanks everyone.

post-31083-143142324518_thumb.jpg

post-31083-143142324508_thumb.jpg

post-31083-143142324513_thumb.jpg

Edited by heygibb
CRS (see edit history)