Pomona, California Swap Meet December 8

Bob H

Has anyone attended one of these Southern California swap meets? I am gathering up parts for my 1939 Buick Special convertible project and wonder if this meet might be worthwhile. My home and project are in Oregon but spend winters in SoCal so travel isn't a big issue. This year I have been to swap meets in Seattle, Portland and Sacramento with very little success, a couple of nickle-dime items only. There was almost no prewar Buick items at those meets. Looking for comments from enthusiasts who have been there. Thanks, Bob H

I went to it once around 1994. I flew out from New York and I think it was a March or April one. As I remember the difference between Rochester airport and Ontario was about 70 degrees.

After just missing the event three times while working at a Xerox plant out there I just decided to go. I stayed in Diamond Bar, not too far from the fairgrounds. It is more a cultural event. Parking is best when you bring an old car and hang a For Sale sign on it. The car corral side backed up to the Pomona Dragstrip and somewhere I have a film photographed picture from the end of the strip toward the starting line. I went for three or four days and just hung out. Went to Palm Springs, Brea and the Brea Valley, accidentally up the road the the Chino Correction Facility, old town Pomona, Kenne-Bell Buick, Fontana where I saw the stacked highway interchange, the Living Desert. I was alone and really had a good time.

People gathered in the car corral and small bands played. It was neat.

The real for sale cars were awful. They were sun fried. Once I started looking at them I found every piece of rubber hard as a rock and the upper surfaces of fenders, hoods, and roofs were deeply pitted (lots under new paint) from the sun cooking the paint off and the metal exposed to the elements. I only saw one car I wanted and I'm pretty sure it had been garaged all its life. It was nice to get back to the rust belt and see a pliable car.

I had fun but distances for dragging parts were long, like a small western Hershey. Would I buy a ticket and fly out there again, sure! Airfare is event cheaper now.

If I needed parts I would find them online and have them shipped. Its a hang out and be social event.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

If you go, check out Union Pacific 4014 Big Boy it's at the north end of the lot , on its way to WY for full restoration

and will joint UP's other steam engines in their heritage fleet.

JB

I believe he is gone - or in the process of being moved - for restoration and service back in the Mid West. There was an article recently in the LA Times...

Thanks guys for your comments on the Pomona swap meet. Based on your less than enthusiastic comments I don't think I'll go. I have had some success with the Buick club, Hemmings, and Craigslist for locating 1939 Buick convertible parts; the swap meets have been of little value to me. I'll bite my tongue about steam locomotive enthusiasts hijacking my Buick parts post to further their interests. Thanks, again, Bob H