Can you help me get a handle on this?

Barry Wolk

The 1932 Ruxton I've done a mechanical restoration on is awaiting the return of the engine so I went ahead and stripped the body and have fitted the doors.

IMG_1605_zpsf3fca4c0.jpg

In reassembling the latches I noted that I was having trouble getting the interior door handles to fit. One of the handles was a reproduction and fit perfectly while the 3 purported "originals" would barely seat on the spline shaft before the threads jammed up.

I came to discover that the threaded receiver in the door is 20 threads per inch and the threaded escutcheon is 18 threads per inch. With the quality and thought that went into the rest of the car I highly doubt whether Ruxton would have used parts with mis-matched threads.

The originals may have been of this style, but even that seems to be unknown as different handles show up on pictures from the factory. Be that as it may, at one time someone made a reproduction that worked. It unfortunately lacked the fine detailed of the original, but it worked.

I believe I have scoured every nook and cranny of the internet and Hemming's and have come up dry on what cars used this threaded base and who makes reproductions handles, regardless of style. The window cranks in the factory pictures appear to be the same square-shank winders as the Model-A, but I can't find handles that thread in like these.

IMG_1676_zps146dcd35.jpg

IMG_1677_zps8cd4d7c3.jpg

The reproduction handle has a separate bezel.

IMG_1678_zps88f4ff4a.jpg

Who makes these?

World's longest drag link - I saw a cutaway picture of a Bentley big six from the early 30s (their biggest car, before the RR takeover). It had the longest drag link I ever saw. Most end at the end of the spring, this one was twice that long. It occurred to me at the time that this was bad design and must result in bump steer. If they were all so carelessly made, maybe this is why the English thought the only way to make a car handle was to install stiff springs and shocks. If they had any suspension travel they would be all over the road.

In the same picture you could see there was no room for the axle to move, it must have had about 2 or 3 inches of suspension travel before the axle hit the frame.

Barry, That attachment method looks identical to the Marmon Model L and Model 78s of 27-29. Vintage reproductions item MAR 002 and MAR 003 for the Marmon model 78 looks like it would work. Check it out. I bought some this year for my model L. I'm very happy with the quality, not cheap though.

It just occurred to me, the Ruxton used a Budd body originally designed for the English Wolseley. Is there any chance you have English hardware with Whitworth threads? I know it sounds crazy.

My thread gauge pegs it at 20, but that's possible. I'm headed to the machine shop, maybe they could verify.