Buick 322 intake exhaust crossover

old-tank

Has anyone come up with a good way to block off the Buick 322 intake exhaust crossover. Gaskets used to be available for racing purposes. I think the currently available fuel is already too volatile and does not need to be heated...and I am tired of touching up the paint that is burned off.

Willie

Paul, you will see where the exhaust goes when you get it off. The paint burning is probably not an issue unless you do summer driving at 70 mph for 10 hours a day.

Bernie, do you remember if that fix lasted (again, 70 mph for 10 hours a day)?

Believe it or not it is even too cold here with temps in the 30's (*F) to tinker.

Willie

Wow! 700 miles of macadam road, all connected. I live a block from the canal that goes all the way through the state and it ain't that long. My roads are called trails: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_State_Route_104, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_20_in_New_York, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_State_Route_31, and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_State_Route_19.

Actually the nailhead intake gaskets have a smaller round hole on that crossover port. Bigger balls will make it OK.

It was 30 here, but I had the heat on in the garage and could tinker. I just couldn't go out behind and tinkle, had to walk all the way back to the house.

Bernie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Update: before someone else does this, the jury is still out. Even with outside temps in the 70's the driveablility is crap. Vigorous acceleration from a stop in drive, I get a severe lean bog...once the engine speed is up (and resultant increased airflow) it runs well. I'm going to leave it in place until the temps are in the 90's+. It probably will solve the manifold paint burning issues and carburetor percolation, but I don't want driveability problems.

Fuel injection like Ben did is getting closer...

Willie

I calculated the air density difference between an operating heat stove and just cool air at 40 degrees. The car runs about 30% lean on a cold day. When I was 25 and driving in the summer I put the aluminum foil balls in. Forty years later the original configuration works fine.

Bernie

• 3 months later...
Update: before someone else does this, the jury is still out. Even with outside temps in the 70's the driveablility is crap. Vigorous acceleration from a stop in drive, I get a severe lean bog...once the engine speed is up (and resultant increased airflow) it runs well. I'm going to leave it in place until the temps are in the 90's+. It probably will solve the manifold paint burning issues and carburetor percolation, but I don't want driveability problems.

Fuel injection like Ben did is getting closer...

Willie

Update: Driveability is essentially normal (as normal as it gets with this crap for fuel). Maybe the available fuel is matching the season or the intake valves on the replacement cylinder head finally have carbon build up to match the other. Anyhow driving in 95* weather with the a/c running I get the usual vapor lock unless I run the electric fuel pump, but no percolation after parking and of course no paint blistering on the intake manifold. If it continues to do this well, I will leave it as is and maybe consider blocking on my other nailheads. Gas mileage is the same, but WOT for high speed passing seems faster with a definite 'kick' when the secondaries open (I wasn't watching, but the GPS recorded 95 mph:eek:)...maybe that's why racers blocked it off, to get a colder, denser charge. Gotta go....take it for another run :D

Willie

I tapped and blocked off the ports with a 7/16 plugs for what it's worth.

I think Willie was talking about the ports between the head and the intake. Are you talking about the ports between the intake and the carb?

• 7 months later...

Update: don't use my method for blocking. It seems the pop rivets formed an incomplete seal and some exhaust gases (that contained water vapor) got past and then condensed in the intake manifold. There was a black ugly wet mess. A complete seal would probably work, but for now it is back to stock.

Willie