Hurst Packard?

avantey

I was talking to a local guy tonight and he said he has a 1953 Hurst Packard. It has curved glass rear corners like a Nomad, an '70's era Chrysler engine and came from an undertaker in Texas. It also has a raised roof section to the rear and his guess is a flower car. The engine is painted red which is leading him to believe it is a 360 not a 318. I have not seen the car but has anyone heard of something like this?

Obviously a modified car but is it a vintage commercial unit or just a custom? He did say it was Hurst like the shifter not hearse, and it appeared to small for a hearse.

Thanks,

Ha ha ha in 1953 George Hurst was making overrider bumpers for VW buses believe it or not. He hadn't started making shifters yet.

Who knows what kind of vehicle it was, but it has obviously been modified. Could have started as an ambulance or hearse. Packard made 2 sizes, on a short wheelbase and long wheelbase commercial chassis.

They made 1 king size station wagon as either a show car or special order for a company executive. It burned up and was scrapped many years ago.

Pictures would help. Some good pics inside and out.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

The Packard service cars on the short wheelbase are Henney Juniors. There were also Henney Senior service cars and IIRC Derham built limousines on Packard chassis 1953-54. The curved corner glass indicate Henney to me. The Chrysler engine is probably a much later transplant. Why? The Packard had the more reliable engine.

Edited by john2dameron
additions (see edit history)