How many of you are being judged?

Beltfed

I noted that the latest issue of "The Way of the Zephyr" was saturated with the judging at Pebble Beach. It got me to wondering how many Zephyrs are being restored into correct (as possible) drivers and how many are restored as concourse cars.

I for one get a real thrill went someone walks up to my car at a small show and says "Wow, I've never seen a car like this! How Cow! A 12 cylinder flat head, never seen one of those either!" Having it judged a someone who knows ever bolt and screw just doesn't 'float my boat'.

I know, "you do your thing, I'll do mine".

I like to drive it, top down, fast!.With the radio a hummin....Shows are fun, for about 10 minutes..

maybe when I get old, and if it wont run &drive very well,

then I'll get a little tent, and make a sign and sit behind the car , making certain no-one touches it.. But be sure

to place my fire extinguisher under the front tire or be banished from "the field"

but, to each his own..I was inspired to start this journey due to a Lincoln Meet in Angola Indiana back in the '70s..The smell

of fresh lacquer, supple leather and detailed v-12s scarred me for life

Thanks Tom

I agree 100%. But I don't build my cars for judging or trophies. It's always nice to win one but that's not why I own mine.

If I did build it for judging I would be very interested. So, I can understand that too.

The diversity in car building is part of what makes car shows fun for me.

Guest 65Starfire

I am building mine for driving - It is a car after all. I want it factory appearing but good to drive. So I if I make changes they can be easily reversed like changing out the front brakes for disks or adding the Columbia rear end. The engine has a 2 carb intake but I am keeping the cast iron heads. Shocks are getting switched to standard units ... That kind of thing... I never saw the thrill in the trailer queens. All it means is that you can out spend the guy next to you...

Guest B1rdman

I may have already sent this.

If I can not drive it I do not want it.

And if you have seen one car show you have seen them all.

gene

I've noticed that for the past couple of years, our local concourses, Forest Grove, OR, now has a section for modified cars. I think it would be fun to see the judges scowl at the 12V battery and alternator, serpentine belt, Saginaw power steering, air conditioning, fuel injection etc. But I suppose I should paint and get some new upholstery first (as well as make all the above work and get car running). Who knows, might get a popular opinion trophy!

Abe

Guest jims41LC

I am in the own it to drive it bunch. If there is show and get the inclination , I'll present it, but mainly our '41 LC is to drive on special outings.

Jim,

Bronze Key Member ACM

I guess I like to have my cake and eat it too. I restored my car as close as I could get to original, but I also drive it (just under 8K now). I actually like taking it to shows where there are a variety of cars, not just Lincolns or Zephyrs. I did the concours Mustang thing years ago, and frankly you can only see so many of any one type of car before you get sick of them -- including our beloved Zephyrs.

It is kind of cool to go to a car show with 150 hot rods and customs with only a hand full of restored cars and win best of class and best of show with my 41 custom with the limo option, restored as close as I could get it to correct,V12,wood grained dash and hydraulic windows,repainted the original spode green.I have had the car on the road for just over a year since the restoration and put 3700 mi on it with no problems, but lots of fun. I took the car to the Lincoln GOF at lake Tahoe in june this year.The car was juged at 94 points and got second place.

Edited by tom nelson (see edit history)

I have shown my car , restored 1938 conv. coupe; a couple 100 times since it hit the road in'04. As Bob Nelson said ,I love to take it to local mixed shows and come home with best of show!

Many people can't believe it has V12 and younger people are "wowed" by these Zephyrs. I live in a small country town and there are a lot of small shows around. You don't have to have

a finished car to show, JUST GET IT OUT AND RUN IT!