1951 Roadmaster Convertible Project $3000 obo

Guest BJM

Really other than the usual floor pan welding and complete interior needed in a field car convertible it looks good save that the frame is clean that is. Neat to see how the interior was red as the passenger back side tells the story. Looks like a repaint at one time or another. Other than that it needs everything else too! Ahh ... But a Roadmaster. (sigh) Photos posted here for posterity ....

How about this one as well for $ 8,500 it makes this 1951 look like a bargain maybe?

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/4121214736.html

post-56742-143142258106_thumb.jpg

post-56742-143142258108_thumb.jpg

post-56742-143142258111_thumb.jpg

post-56742-143142258113_thumb.jpg

post-56742-143142258115_thumb.jpg

post-56742-143142258118_thumb.jpg

post-56742-143142258119_thumb.jpg

post-56742-143142258121_thumb.jpg

post-56742-143142258123_thumb.jpg

Edited by buick man (see edit history)

Really other than the usual floor pan welding and complete interior needed in a field car convertible it looks good save that the frame is clean that is. Neat to see how the interior was red as the passenger back side tells the story. Looks like a repaint at one time or another. Other than that it needs everything else too! Ahh ... But a Roadmaster. (sigh) Photos posted here for posterity ....

How about this one as well for $ 8,500 it makes this 1951 look like a bargain maybe?

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/4121214736.html

Not that the fellow selling the 55 Century convertible for $10,000 was high but compared to this one for $3000 obo, this is a bargain. Typically western cars are low rust. It seems to be complete. I say a $2500 cash offer would get it loaded onto your trailer.

These cars are 50-60 + years old now and basically extinct as projects. Maybe a few 50's Buick Roadmaster projects come up in a year.

Ya know. Not until once you have actually really gotten down and dirty into a restoration project does one realize just what it takes in real terms of time, logistics of abilities, equipment, storage, space, tools, endless dime and nickel invoices and the holly grail of all namely protected, clean covered, dry and well lighted flat working areas can these cars of summer and potential be attractive to both hands-on doers and dreamers alike. However, it is only through the full comprehension and appreciation of the afore mentioned terrain of woes which separates the two groups.

Ya know. Not until once you have actually really gotten down and dirty into a restoration project does one realize just what it takes in real terms of time, logistics of abilities, equipment, storage, space, tools, endless dime and nickel invoices and the holly grail of all namely protected, clean covered, dry and well lighted flat working areas can these cars of summer and potential be attractive to both hands-on doers and dreamers alike. However, it is only through the full comprehension and appreciation of the afore mentioned terrain of woes which separates the two groups.

I fully agree that some restoration processes can be "unfun" and expensive. I am doing an older Mercedes convertible now that is built like a bank vault. I like the restoration process personally, some don't. It's a lot different from the 1970's that I remember, when guys would be allowed by the wives to tear apart a car in the garage and you would see lights on in the garage well into fall. In many ways, that's what was fun about the hobby. Cars may not have been perfect but YOU did it and the old beast actually came back to life.

But since the speculation days of the late 80's, cars have to be Scottsdale perfect or guys don't even bother, it seems.

I'd just as soon enjoy doing a 51 Roadmaster 4 door as this convertible, but clearly the convertible will always be worth more restored. 4 door Roadmasters from 1951? Maybe $15,000. 51 convertibles should be able to fetch $50,000 to $100,000 depending on quality of workmanship.

• 3 months later...
Guest huskerman

The 1951 Buick Roadmaster Convertible found a new home in Colorado; started restoration and thought it would be interesting to document the process. Here's the website: http://www.bessythebuick.com/ It's been a joy so far. So many helpful people in the Buick community with guidance and encouragement to get the project done right.

Thanks for your support!

Jeff

Wow, great that you're bringing this one back, a worthy project! For a field car, sure looks like good sheet metal with very little rust and very fixable. Some of those western states and the dry climate sure can save an outside car....

Best of luck restoring and have fun!

The 1951 Buick Roadmaster Convertible found a new home in Colorado; started restoration and thought it would be interesting to document the process. Here's the website: http://www.bessythebuick.com/ It's been a joy so far. So many helpful people in the Buick community with guidance and encouragement to get the project done right.

Thanks for your support!

Jeff

WOW, what a great start for a restoration story. Look forward to following the blog. Thanks for sharing.

Why don't you also post up in the Me and My Buick Forum so it will get more traffic in the future. http://forums.aaca.org/f163/