Kind of new here..........

Guest Kaber

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> Hey Guys,

I was looking thru the old posts and realized I have not properly introduced myself here. I have already gained alot of advice here and this board has not failed to point me in the right direction. Thank you to all who have helped my son and I here.

I go by Kaber, here and all the other boards I go to. My real name is Tim and I live in Ohio. The Riviera I work on belongs to my Son, Adam. We bought it as a father son project this summer and have been hard at it. Winter is coming and my plan is to pull the seats and store the car until spring. Over the winter we will attempt to recover the seats and have them ready to reinstall in the spring. I also didn't have any good pics of the Riviera so let me introduce it here as well.

We bought the car after going to look at a project car the previous owner had for sale. He was driving the car we ended up with. I know he regrets selling it! It is a 1963 diplomat blue/blue interior car. It has the numbers matching 401 and dyna-flow. It has dual exhaust with no muffler, just resonators. It rolls on Buick Road wheels off of a similar year Wildcat with big and little rubber. The car has custom coils up front to drop it about 3". The rear springs are currently clamped, I do plan on replacing them soon.

So far we have un-done some questionable mods done by the previous owner. We repainted the air cleaner and resealed the valve covers. We got all the locks working, replaced the weather-stripping, seat belts, and dash pad. Thanks to Jim Cannon, we upgraded the master cylinder to a dual cylinder and replaced all the brake lines. We also rebuilt the front end and steering. We added an MP3 adapter to the factory AM radio and replaced the speaker. We also added a Wildcat Tachometer. Here are some pics…..

2013-10-27105652_zpsb6fc55a8.jpg

2013-10-27105929_zps6be0e232.jpg

2013-10-27105725_zps1990fe3b.jpg

2013-10-27105708_zps61c49e5c.jpg

2013-09-15164534_zps33bcf80f.jpg

2013-09-15164523_zps9c4baac9.jpg

2013-09-15164513_zpsda304fde.jpg

THANK YOU!!!!

<!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->

I'm impressed by what you did before you joined the forum. From what I can see it doesn't look like anything you have remaining to do will be too big of a task for the two of you. I'm curious. What do your son's friends say about him driving a car that 35+ years older than he is? That's a neat looking air cleaner, did you know that it's off an Oldsmobile Toronado? I bought a repo horn bar for my wooden wheel from Buickbonehead. I don't know if he has any more or if he plans on reproducing them again. Watch eBay for a horn bar. I was at an auction a couple of weeks ago where a guy bought five NOS ones. I'm sure that Jim has your data plate info by now but I'm curious as to the build date of the car because of the smaller indentation in the vacuum canister.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Ed

Jim Doesn't have my VIN plate data, I will get that to him before we put it away for the winter.We saw a 66 Toronado at a swap meet and the Air cleaner was similar but not exactly like that one. It is for the quadra- jet and needs an adapter ring to fit the smaller dia. carb on the Riv. I made gaskets for the spacer the previous owner put on and it is a little better now. I like stuff stock and really would prefer a stock air cleaner but my son really likes that one. Every time I look at the car I see something that needs attention but that is the fun of the whole experience.

My Son is a good kid. When he was little I told him if he stayed good and studied hard I would give him my Firebird. He did, but I couldn't let go of the 'Bird (My high school car). So we set out looking for a car for him, he wanted a Mercury Cougar. We looked at tons of them (Early Mustangs too)and every one was rusty junk. We were shopping at a antique mall and I noticed he bought some ads for a 65 Riviera. A few days later we saw a 63 at the local Friday night cruise. The guy hooked us up with the owner of ours to look at a project 63 he had for sale, he comes rolling up in the Blue car. After passing on the project 63, we looked at more Cougars and then came across the Blue one again, a few weeks later, at a different cruise night. We bought it right there! I had to sell my Corvette for some cash! No regrets! As for my son and driving the Riv. He had started a car club at his school last year. They ended the school year with a car show to benefit Wounded Warriors. My son got interviewed for the local paper and made almost $700 for Wounded Warriors. The show was a great success with over 50 cars in attendance!

No one at school was surprised when he showed up in the Riv. The kids all love it. A few weeks ago he drove it to the homecoming dance, we had to thrash on the interior so it would nice enough to sit in! It all came together just in time! It'll look alot better when we get the seat covers on! When I was in High School my best friend had a 39 Chevy coupe, it seemed really old! This car is 10 years older than it was then! He said a few of the kids at school are looking into getting older cars. My son didn't have a chance, he was born into a car family. He has been going with me to shows since before he could walk. He likes the "Personal Luxury Vibe", and this car fits him well. I am glad I could help him get it and work on it.

Thanks Ed for all the advice and help. I am really glad I found this place!

Guest Dialtone

Tim great looking Riv your son has. I like what you two have done too it! Very cool you and him get to work on it together. I want a set of those wheels and that steering wheel !

Where did you get the dual cylinder from ? I need to put a dual on mine.

Tim great looking Riv your son has. I like what you two have done too it! Very cool you and him get to work on it together. I want a set of those wheels and that steering wheel !

The wheels are factory Buick rally wheels (Buick called them Formula Five Wheels) There were an available option on Rivieras starting in '65; they were first offered as an option only on the '64 Wildcat. They're 15 x 6" wheels with the 5 on 5 bolt pattern. 64 - 70 are basically the same but with slight differences. 71 - 78 look the same but have a different profile to them.

All of the details for the dual master cylinder conversion - parts, istallation instructions, details, etc. - are in an article written by Jim Cannon. That article is available to ROA members on the ROA's website.

The steering wheel was also a factory option starting in '64. Watch eBay or look in the classifieds in the Riview for ones for sale.

Ed

On a 64 you don't have the hydraulic brake lamp switch to deal with. The M/C I used is from a 67 Riviera with drum brakes. On a 63 you need to determine if you have a bendix or delco booster, not sure about a 64. I got mine from O'Reileys It was as easy as plumbing the front portion of the M/C to the front brakes and the rear portion to the back brakes. It was VERY easy. Ed is correct I recommend reading the article in the ROA Members section. Jim Cannon was also very helpful with advice. look thru some old posts here, there is all kinds of information on this.

Thanks Tim

Thats a great story Tim and thanks for posting the intro. Its awesome that you and your son can share the interest. There isn't nearly enough of that going on in todays society. Looks like Adam got a really nice car and has the motivation and skills to keep it on the road. Watch out though, Riv fever is contagious!

Thats a great story Tim and thanks for posting the intro. Its awesome that you and your son can share the interest. There isn't nearly enough of that going on in todays society. Looks like Adam got a really nice car and has the motivation and skills to keep it on the road. Watch out though, Riv fever is contagious!

I do have some Riv fever. I have old cars of my own but since the Riv has been around they seem far too modren and pedestrian! The Riv may have ruined me for other cars! One of the reasons my Son wanted the Riv is because it wasn't a Firebird or Chevelle like the old man has, so me getting one would not go over well. We did get to a cruise in where we both took our cars and backed in next to each other. It was a great time!

Tim

Guest Pearville

Congratulations on your son's car, and more importantly on your son. What a joy to have a son who loves and understands your passion for old cars. It is all to seldom we hear a story of a good kid, a good dad, and a good relationship. I salute you both. Mike

Guest Dialtone

The steering wheel was also a factory option starting in '64. Watch eBay

Ed

Ed, thanks for the info, There one on Ebay and the seller wants $700 for it and doesn't have the center cap/ horn cap cover

Guest wildcat465

Awesome job Tim. Glad to see father/son projects.

How can I con you out of those Wildcat center caps???

Thank you for posting the pics, I like the way your son's ride turned out.

Awesome story, and thanks for sharing. My son is only 8, but so far has expressed interest in my old cars. Hopefully he'll keep it up.

Awesome job Tim. Glad to see father/son projects.

How can I con you out of those Wildcat center caps???

Thank you for posting the pics, I like the way your son's ride turned out.

Buy him a set of Riviera Center caps from Mitch. :D

Those Wildcat caps are one of my son's favorite items on the car. I don't think he'd let them go....LOL!

The chrome cap & bail were left over when I upgraded my Chevelle to disc brakes. It is an aftermarket dress up item from 20 years ago, Mr. Gasket I think, I exchanged the rubber gasket for the one on the cap that came with the M/C.

Tim