Glove box photos needed - 1920s - 1970s

Guest SethBang

Guest SethBang

Howdy. I have an unusual request. I need some high resolution photos of the faces of glove boxes (glove compartments, map compartments, whatever you wish to call them) from various vehicles covering several decades. They need to be shot from straight on the front. These are for a museum exhibit. My goal is to get at least one photo of a glove box from each decade spanning the 20s through the 70s. I would also prefer them to be from family cars (sedans, wagons, etc.) but sports cars would be okay.

If you are able to help me or can direct me to someone, that would be great. It is important that the photos be high resolution and clear so that I can print them full size. I am not an expert on cars but I cobbled together this list that I believe meets my criteria. Photos don't have to be from this list but maybe this is a good start.

o 1920s

§
Model T
Oops, no glove box.

§ Chrysler Imperial E80

o 1930s

§ Buick Series 40

§
Plymouth Model 30U
Oops, no glove box

o 1940s

§ Town & Country wagon

o 1950s

§ Studebaker coupe

§ Chevrolet Bel Air

§ Ford Fairlane 500 Skyliner

o 1960s

§ Dodge Polara or Monaco

o 1970s

§ Buick Estate wagon

Lastly, I'll need to have your permission to use the photo. I don't want to just grab them off the Internet. Post a note here if you think you can help and we'll figure out the best way to make contact.

Thank you. :cool:

Seth!

Edited by SethBang (see edit history)

Guest SethBang

I've had a couple of replies which I really appreciate. I hope that some more folks can help me. I forgot to mention that the dimensions of the glove box door will help me, too. Thanks!

For the historical record it would be interesting to know who can claim to have offered the first "glove box"? Were work gloves or ladies formal gloves originally stored in them? Bob

I am sure it won't be the earliest example, but the British-built Seabrook light car of 1923 had a large 'glove box' in the dashboard. I don't have a copy of the illustration, but it can be seen here (click on the second illustration):

http://www.prewarcar.com/magazine/previous-features/where-is-volume-ii-of-the-scrapbook-or-historical-reference-020422.html

Guest SethBang

Hi. Thanks for the links. To clarify, I need photos that are your original photos (not from the Internet) and they need to be big, high-resolution images. If they aren't at least 2,000 pixels wide, I won't be able to print them actual size with any clarity. You'll probably have to email them to me. I will also need the dimensions of the glove box and your permission to use the photo.

Fellow forum users. This gentleman is still waiting to get some usable pictures for his museum exhibition. He appreciates the one that have been posted on this site but needs to have high resolution pictures that are original. I was unable to email mine so I just sent him a cd. Certainly some people can take a little trouble and send him some. We are not museums ourselves but we should be able to relate to the promotion and preservation of history. take just a little bit of your time and help him out. You would not want him to get the idea that AACA people are selfish and think only of themselves and don't really care about others. It is not that much trouble.

Guest Nancy DeWitt

Do you want a close up of the ones in our '32 Chrysler Imperial CL? There are even compartments for the back-seat passengers (although I think that middle one was for a bottle of scotch).

post-58418-143142261959_thumb.jpg

I'm sure a number of our other cars have glove/map holders, if you want me to look. Shoot me an email: projects AT fdifairbanks.com

post-58418-143142261949_thumb.jpg

Guest Nancy DeWitt

Looks like the earliest car in our collection with any dash compartments is our 1917 Pierce-Arrow 66 A-4. I suppose one might have stashed gloves in the drawers below the driver's seat in our 1906 Pope-Toledo.

post-58418-143142262759_thumb.jpg

Still waiting to hear from SethBang...

post-58418-143142262741_thumb.jpg

Guest SethBang

Hi, Nancy. I just sent you an email. For whatever reason, the forums did not send me an automatic note that you replied. Thank you!