WANTED: 65 Riviera GS AC bracket

Guest sailor

Tnugent is right, the bracket in the ebay auction (although it says GS) does not look right for the finned valve covers. If that was the correct bracket $90 would be a steal!

Question....is there a difference in the rear A/C bracket for the finned valve covers on a single Q-Jet carb vs. 2x4?

Guest wildcat465
Question....is there a difference in the rear A/C bracket for the finned valve covers on a single Q-Jet carb vs. 2x4?

Nope, I compared the bracket from a 66 Riv GS with my 2X4 from my 64 Cat, they are the same shape all the way around. Bolt holes all in same position.

Nope, I compared the bracket from a 66 Riv GS with my 2X4 from my 64 Cat, they are the same shape all the way around. Bolt holes all in same position.

I'm thinking that your 66 GS has the same finned aluminum valve covers as the 2X4 '64 Cat. If that's true, the two brackets you have will look the same. If you compare a bracket from a car with stamped steel covers to a car with finned aluminum covers, you'll find the latter has more clearance built into it for the taller finned covers.

In their catalog, Clark's has a rear bracket, part #R277 - page 13, for the a/c compressor that is designed to fit over the taller finned valve covers. It's designed for us guys who want to retro fit the valve covers but did not come up with all the needed parts.

Ed

If you're in the Corvair catalog (default unless you preceed the catalog page number with an "R-" ) it probably can't find it. I just looked in my paper catalog, page R-13.

Ed

Here's an online link

http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog.cgi?show_page=R-13

The Clark's bracket, if it's still available, will work with the aluminum valve covers; however, it does not look like a factory bracket. Instead, it appears to be a brake-formed part. It looks fine when inststalled, but it's not correct. The factory brackets that fit over the Aluminum valve covers are hard to find becuase when parts scavengers pulled the dual-quad set-ups from cars many probaby didn't realize that they needed the bracket.

I may have some spares, but I've got to see how many I need for my valve cover sets. If you haven't or don't find one, then let me know and I may be able to help.

Guest sailor

ou're right Rob,

It's not available anymore...so I'm still looking.

Just found out I need the kickdown bracket for the 2x4 setup as well...

Andrew

The kick down bracket is also very hard to find but I believe that Dick Sweeney is reproducing them. He is on this forum a lot and is a really nice guy. If he is not reproducing them he can probably point you in the right direction. Dick is also reproducing the correct linkage that goes between the two carburetor's if you don't already have that.

• 3 weeks later...

Sailor you said that you have both brackets and I take it that you have found the compressor bracket. If not, check with CARS as they advertise the AC compressor bracket for 1963 to 1966 and it says "All with aluminum valve covers." Their catalog price is $37.50 and part number is CB566.

Sailor you said that you have both brackets and I take it that you have found the compressor bracket. If not, check with CARS as they advertise the AC compressor bracket for 1963 to 1966 and it says "All with aluminum valve covers." Their catalog price is $37.50 and part number is CB566.

I typed the part number in and got no response. I also searched for compressor bracket and got not response. Can you post a link to the part?

Ed, they had the part on page 40 of their catalog but, shame on me for not checking it out before I posted that part number. You are right, it was on paper but not in cyber space. I am going to guess that when Clark's stopped advertising it that CARS did the same. A real shame because there are a lot of people who need that part. If someone needs this bracket you might want to check with Larry Daisey http://www.ranchoriviera.8m.com/