Liberty Light for WWI Liberty Truck

Guest mawolfe

Recently purchased an old headlight at an auction. They said it was from an old car or truck, but knew this wasn't correct. After some investigation found that it is a Liberty Light housing complete with intact Liberty Lens manufactured by Macbeth-Evans Glass Company, Pat. Dec. 8.14., No. 4762-81/4. This would have been the light that was mounted on the dash of the Liberty Truck. It consists of the metal housing with mounting bracket, and intact lens and burner (appears to be missing the reflective surface from within). It is not surplus as there are obvious signs of use including remnants of a prior broken lens within, as well as corrosion from the use of the burner, and dents, scars and abrasions to the exterior housing with old patina.

It is my understanding that there are very few Liberty Trucks left, and was wondering if anyone might know what this item might be worth? Or who might be interested in such an item?

Thanks

How about a picture?

The Liberty Lens and Light brand name lines ( head side and tail) were made and sold by MacBeth-Evans in many sizes for many cars and trucks as both original equipment and aftermarket replacements.

Liberty Trucks were a product of the United States Army to their design and manufactured by several contractors.

When you say "just post", where would I post it? Can you tell if it is the "B" light? I would hate to "post it" as something that it is not, so any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Where to post??? Well, since you have what you believe (hope?) to be a WWI truck light, why not try WWI vehicle eqpmt and various old truck sites??

My apologies: I have a bad cold, spent a sleepless night and'm having trouble keeping my sweet-disposition controls in place...

(1) scroll down to the bottom the page and try blastermike in AU

(2) Google WWI truck, WWI vehicle, WWI eqpmt sites and see what comes up (steelsoldiers comes to mind, but I'm not familiar with it)

(3) general truck sites: aths, justoldtrucks, antiquetruckclubofamerica, all free that I'm familiar with:Google for more

(4) While WWI military trucks not my thing, believe there was:

Class "A"---11/2 ton light duty/recon, 27HP engine??

Class "AA"---lighter?? like maybe a 3/4 ton pickup??

Class "B"---3 ton This's the mass produced model, produced by 15 mfr's per Mroz; the others supposedly much smaller numbers

Class "C"---updated enlarged tandem axle "B", possibly post-WWI?? (Can't find my notes or anything else this AM!!)...

PLUS at least two different Signal Corps Aviation trucks, Plus Lord knows what-all else

I'm open to correction/illumination on any or all of the above...

How do you know it is from a WW I truck as opposed to any other truck or vehicle of the day? I see that the lens shows a patent date of 1914 but that was before the US even thought of entering the war (late 1917) and before there was much of a build up in the Army buying equipment (1918). Also, I do not see any military markings on it which I would expect to see given the penchant for the Army marking pretty much everything to show it belonged to them and to deter things from walking away.

WWI U.S. military trucks use Lamp marked on top or chimney : C.M. Hall lamp co. Model Solar 167WTS Kenosha Detroit U.S.A. (the "U.S.A." is much larger lettering) The clear glass lens has chicken wire embedded in it with no markings. There is a vertically aligned handle on the back of the lamp and a very heavily cast bracket with oval thumb screws at the pivot points.

Guest mawolfe

My thanks to Bud Tierney for all of your suggestions and for taking the time to respond while under the weather. Trying to find info on very old parts is quite difficult and I will use your suggestions to try to find the information that I am looking for. Thanks again.

Guest mawolfe

How do I know that it is from a WWI truck as opposed to any other truck or vehicle of the day? I don't. As I stated previously, I am trying to find out more about it so that I don't misrepresent it as something that it isn't. Initially I began my search for info by looking up "Liberty Lens" and the part "No. 4762-81/4" which appear on the lens in addition to the patent date of Dec.8.14. That brought me to sites about the Liberty Truck as well as several people selling the same lens minus the housing as a Liberty Truck Lens. Perhaps they are mistaken and the fact that the lens is clearly marked "Liberty Lens" has absolutely nothing to do with the WWI Liberty Truck? That is why I am attempting to find out more information about this item. Perhaps I should have stated this in my initial post rather than make it sound as if I know with certainty that it is from a Liberty Truck. Thus far, the only lights that I have seen that even closely resemble the one that I have are on the dash of the WWI Liberty Truck and, as per Bud Tierney's suggestion, the Nash Quad, although I can not get a close enough look at the light to see if it is marked as US military property in any way. If you can suggest any other truck or vehicle of the day that had a similar light I would appreciate the information. Thanks

You might try checking with SuperJeff (Jeff L, who runs the "What Am I" forum/section now on justoldtrucks). He has a monumental collection of old truck pix, and may have one or more clear enough to compare with yours...

Another thought is to run down museums that have Libertys on display--curators are often both very helpful with sending pix of what's on their display models and good sources for others looking for parts for similar displays or restoretions....

From that time period it has value no matter what it came off of; how much depends on too many variables to list...

As far as I am aware that style of lens was normally used with electric head lights. Your lamp body is obviously a gas lamp so I would suggest the lens and the rest of the lamp are a miss- match. Are the broken lens remnants you mention flat glass rather than molded. I normally expect gas lights to use a flat glass lens. The light body could come from any one of many different car or truck makes. It could even be a replacement unit that was a generic part. The fact the body is steel does suggest a commercial application. most cars used brass lamp bodies in the gas light era. Greg in Canada

There were a number of companies selling trucks to England & France for the war effort prior to the US getting involved in 1917. Buick was selling trucks to the British Red Cross in 1915 for ambulances and was the chassis of choice. In fact a majority of trucks built by Buick in 1915 went for export. I would guess the lamp was from a vehicle prior to 1915 and not necessarily a truck.

• 5 years later...

Late follow-up here, the "Liberty" truck (1918 Standard B Type I had electric lights, the Type II had only oil lamps, with a gas searchlight above the dash.

This I can state for certain is not a "Liberty Truck" (1918 Standard B  ) lamp. The electric lamps were riveted to the cowling, the oil lamps had a slot in the rear for the blade style holder riveted to the cowling.

US Army 'dumbed' the truck down for easier field supply and maintenance without electrics for the Type II's.

V/R W Winget

Type I owner eventually restoring it.