35 DODGE KC PICKUP RESTORATION

35&73

I am the second proud owner of this working farm truck which, from what I can learn, spent its entire life in the same location and was last on the road in 1957. Since then it has been stored in a barn until two weeks ago when I picked it up. The plan is to put it back to 100% original as pretty much all the parts are there. I would love to hear from anyone who like myself has a passion for these trucks and who may have tips or just general information they'd like to share. Thanks

post-96571-143142205485_thumb.jpg

Hey KCL, I'm located just outside Halifax Nova Scotia and found the truck on the Cabot Trail. Got it running today....happy happy happy!! The truck was originally owned by a gentleman in Cape North, Victoria County - I have his 1939 chauffeurs license and 1939 vehicle permit plus the original Chrysler owner's manual warranty and maintenance tickets for 500 mile and 1500 mile service....don't see that every day.

Lots of good people on this forum. DodgeKCL probably the most knowledgeable living person on the trucks plus. I have about a years worth under my belt. I have stepped into a mans shoes that had passed away 21/2 years ago that owned this business called (Dodge City Vintage) located in Jamestown Ca. His nick name was (Doctor Dodge). He had restored a 34 Dodge KC that is in the Chrysler Museum in Auburn Mi. We have many used and reproduction parts in our inventory. Even reproduction 18 gauge steel rear fenders. Since I came into this operation, I have focused on the 33 to 35 commercial trucks because of all the information at my disposal here plus the numerous trucks and parts that we have and its growing. Here are some pictures of couple of our trucks. Stock and not stock.

Guest DodgeKCL

Could you tell us what the firewall tags say? There will be a large one stamped "KC" or "KCL" and a smaller one with oval ends stamped "B-1-0-LR XXXX" This smaller one is the body builders plate. The larger one is the Dodge assembly plate. It also has the vehicle's serial number or VIN on it. I'm curious as to when I'm finally going to find a Canadian built '35. 1935 was the cusp year for Dodge truck production in Canada. But although mine had a Canadian body installed in Oct. '35 in Toronto, it was still made at Hamtramck in Mich. I have Canadian professional automotive mags from 1935 with articles in them about Dodge truck production starting up but I have not yet found a Canadian chassis. Like to see scans of the paperwork some day. Nice to have a fellow Canuck on board. You have a very rare and desirable truck. You are indeed best to restore it to original because you'll be the only one on the block with one at any show you go to. Chevs,Fords and even Internationals are not nearly as rare. The correct Dodge name for your truck is an "EXPRESS" (pick-up today) and the industry,and Dodge, type was "COMMERCIAL CAR" because it was basically built out of a 1933 Dodge car. All the manufacturers called their 1/2 ton vans,pick-ups and plain chassis- "Commercial Cars".

Guest DodgeKCL

Bingo! You have the 214th Canadian built "Dodge" truck. However just to be clear Graham Brothers made trucks for Dodge Brothers Canada in Toronto for many years prior to this. The main firewall tag on those would say "DODGE TRUCK built by GRAHAM BROTHERS". But you have the 214th,by your serial number, Dodge Brothers truck built by the Dodge Division of Chrysler Canada in Windsor Ont.. The three Graham Brothers by this time had struck out on their own and were making cars. You have a KC ,wheelbase 111", 201 cubic inch 70 hp engine,body number 1212. The T-12 engine serial number would be American as we Canadians did not have a casting plant until the end of the 30s. So all engines,trannies and rear ends etc. came from Detroit. The "box" number is unique. It is most likely the pick-up box builder's assembly line number. Since I've not heard of it before in all the American descriptions, it must be unique to Canada. (Many bodies were built for the Canadian auto industry in Chatham Ont. ,Walter Chrysler's family's home town. His family founded Chatham when their name was Griesler and they were German. His parents left Canada for the U.S. where they had Walter and anglicized their name.) I'm in Ontario so it's not likely I'll ever see the truck up close and personal but it's nice to finally find one of ours. I'm to the poit of painting mine so I can help you short circuit your restoration. When I started no one knew anything about these Dodges. The guys on this site can help you put your together a lot faster than I did. Dodge City's Dave has a lot for your truck that I would have killed for 20 years ago. Rear fenders for one. The rarity of these KCs makes for a very head scratching time. There is also a Dodge City in Ontario,he's on the net, and he has a lot of smal parts. Looking forward to giving you a helping hand.

Guest DodgeKCL

My truck started life as just a chassis. (I've included a Chrylser Archive photo of one.) It had a custom van body installed in Toronto for the T.Eaton Co. This was the main reason I've had such a difficult time with the restoration. Because of it's uniqueness I wanted to put it back to "original". These are some of my photos taken over time. The "pile of junk" sitting in snow is the condition I found it in outside Long Branch Ont. I've not taken any recent photos. It is now "skinned" and the rear door windows are in etc. Seats are upholstered in authentic 30s material. I have a set of repro '35 truck hubcaps now. I had the "Diamond E" chromed metal logos made for the side panels (Eaton company corporate logo,the 4 mounting holes were still there for sizing.) and I had the original T.Eaton Co. brass plates reproed for front bumper mounting and the rear right door. I finally was able to restore the instrument cluster also. A photo of that is somewhere on the net. I'm painting it in the original colours of Eatons. Since my chassis was made in Detroit I was able to get the original build ticket from Chrysler Archives but Chrysler Canada threw all their archives in the garbage,photos,blueprints,build tickets, in the 1950s so you can't get your build ticket from them.

post-31311-14314220885_thumb.jpg

post-31311-143142208853_thumb.jpg

post-31311-143142208864_thumb.jpg

post-31311-143142208866_thumb.jpg

Question: OK, front fenders for the 33 cars will fit these trucks, right?? but do these fenders have passenger spare tire recess?

Fenders from the info and chatter that I have heard will work. Some one said something about a access hole had to be made. Fenders came with/ or with out the spare. One of our 34 p/u has them on both sides. We have most parts to convert, plus were having the front and rear bumper brackets and bumpers reproduced. Were also having the overhead panel and the panel that fits under the grill reproduced.