mystery motor to identifie SOLVED

Guest pq55

Hi, i got this motor out of a barn last week and wonder what it is, it got an auto-lite magneto model G-A, a fuller transmission and cast valve cover and oïl pan. the frame horn are brass.Thanks for your help.

Pat

post-96247-143142192489_thumb.jpg

post-96247-143142192495_thumb.jpg

post-96247-143142192499_thumb.jpg

post-96247-143142192504_thumb.jpg

Edited by pq55 (see edit history)

There is no number or logo except cast part #, each part has a number starting with X and 3 digit.the bellhousing is X222.Even the hubcap are plain.It might be a light truck like nvcarned said because the frame is regular c channel.Thanks

Pat

Went back and found this radiator and two hard rubber Wheel.They said they have a big rearend at an other location, that could be for it.

Now what i gonna do with this?

Pat

post-96247-143142193435_thumb.jpg

post-96247-143142193442_thumb.jpg

The article is dated after 11-11-11-18 Armistace,,

Company in Mich,,,This should be an interesting research project

Panhard did have warehouse/office in NYC earlier,,taking advantage of their

win of the first Vanderbilt race in 1904,,Cheers,,Ben

Smith & Mabley in New York City (who were later behind the Simplex) were the Panhard agents. I had the wreck of an early Panhard (pre-1900) years ago. The 2 cylinder Phoenix engine was missing, but it came with a literally NOS ca. 1903 4 cylinder engine, almost certainly from S&M. It had atmospheric intake valves and was fitted for igniters rather than spark plugs. It still had a part number painted on the crankcase!

The article even says its made by "Hamilton Motors" so I'm certain it had nothing to do with the French company. As an odd twist to this... In the Pre-WWI era magazine fiction writers and newspapers seldom used the name of a domestic car in articles or stories, probably because using one might offend all the others and they were always looking for advertising. As a result, the most common car mentioned was a "Panhard" specifically because there were so few of them, and they were so expensive and sold in a very limited circle, yet the name was well known and associated with racing. I suspect Hamilton motors was trying to cash in on a popular notion that the Panhard was very exclusive etc...

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)

Panhard trucks used Buda engines

Not in 1 1/2 ton , This engine was made by Gray.

Interresting enough i also bought a Gray Hit and Miss at the same place.

post-96247-143142194523_thumb.jpg