1930 Franklin Body builder?

Tom Laferriere

I'm slightly familiar with this car as I have seen photos before. It is a Series 11 Tandem Sport body (1925-27) mounted to a 1930 Series 14 chassis.

The Tandem Sports were 'Production-Customs', designed by deCausse. I am not sure where the bodies were built. The body conversion, coupled with the Packard (1933?) instrument panel suggests a modern-era conversion, as do many non- Franklin items and features such as the bumpers, grill, rear valence(or lack thereof).

The Tandem Sports were striking sedans and the marriage to a late chassis should make for a fun driver, but this was not a factory job, or likely a period job.

Tom Rasmussen

• 1 month later...

That is a very, very handsome car. It's body is a few years ahead of its time, as it looks perfectly natural on top of that 1930 chassis. If I had bought that car, and I wish I could have, I would eventually update the paint scheme as well, because the fiacre-motif outlined doors kind of ruins the effort of updating it. After having saved enough money, I would eventually paint the car all one color (definitely not red), and, of course, eliminate the Hollywood tires.

post-33613-143142250696_thumb.jpg

post-33613-143142250704_thumb.jpg

post-33613-14314225071_thumb.jpg

I would eventually update the paint scheme as well, because the fiacre-motif outlined doors kind of ruins the effort of updating it. After having saved enough money, I would eventually paint the car all one color (definitely not red), and, of course, eliminate the Hollywood tires.

That is a very, very handsome car. It's body is a few years ahead of its time, as it looks perfectly natural on top of that 1930 chassis. If I had bought that car, and I wish I could have, I would eventually update the paint scheme as well, because the fiacre-motif outlined doors kind of ruins the effort of updating it. After having saved enough money, I would eventually paint the car all one color (definitely not red), and, of course, eliminate the Hollywood tires.

I saw this too whilst at Hershey, and I would have liked to purchase it as well. Very handsome car. Tom, if you find another..........

Although it is attractive and may be a good driver, so is a street rod or custom car. If the AACA stuck by their rules for the car coral this car would not have been accepted in it. It's a custom car with a body from another year, a custom grille, custom interior with a Packard dash panel. different bumpers and tail light. Not at all different from a street rod, custom car or kit car. It is not an "AACA" or "Classic Car Club" classic car or a legal antique car.

Although it is attractive and may be a good driver, so is a street rod or custom car. If the AACA stuck by their rules for the car coral this car would not have been accepted in it. It's a custom car with a body from another year, a custom grille, custom interior with a Packard dash panel. different bumpers and tail light. Not at all different from a street rod, custom car or kit car. It is not an "AACA" or "Classic Car Club" classic car or a legal antique car.

But it is a Franklin and welcome at all HHFC events where it will be admired for what it is.

Edited by Franklin-Madman (see edit history)

But it is a Franklin and welcome at all HHFC events where it will be admired for what it is.

You are absolutely, 100%, with out a doubt correct! We will not only welcome it to our events, we'll try to get the owner to give us a ride in it.

Bill