1929 desoto

frankngin

The change over date for the K series was August 15th, 1929. Your Fedco number would have been built in February 1930. So you have a 1930 Model K. There is one number missing from your Fedco number though, there should be another number with the 9 and the 3. Think there are quite a few here who would love to see some pictures.

The car is in Portland Oregon. At a dealer called Memory Lane. I just tried a search and type in Memory Lane Classic Portland Oregon and it will come up. He wants $12,500.00. I feel it would be cheaper than rebuilding mine. But there is a lot of stuff wrong with the car also. So I went to the form to see what I could find out before I bought another Junker. I should be able to get some pictures to post on Saturday. The late year production run is good to know. I know they changed the Radiator Shroud in 30 to a wide one. but this has the narrow shroud. Frank

Thanks, John, for the pictures. Beautiful automobile.

There is a lot of similarities to my Chrysler CJ-6.

And.

What color is the engine block in the 29 Desoto?? I'm going to ask about the color of my Chrysler CJ block, one day.

It appears that the CJ was a bluish silvery green.

Bill Harmatuk

Edited by Bill Harmatuk (see edit history)

It looks like a great car. It would be very easy to correct the few issues with it. From what I see the only incorrect items are the alternator, electric fuel pump and the ignition coil. Everything else looks correct for a late Model K. You could very easily have a great show car. The bumpers need chrome, paint the engine/bay, add the vacuum tank and air cleaner and freshen up the interior.

This car has been on the Portland C/L for at least a year.

I was thinking it was a private party, the owner may have decided to go another direction.

But one can never know who is selling. But it was listed in the 'by owner' section.

Ok, I went and looked at the car again today. Sat in the seat both sides of the seat are broke down. they did not redo the springs when they put the vinyl covering on. both sides of the seat try to throw you out the door after 100 miles your back will hurt. The marriage line between the roof and the body has popped loose and was painted in place. The battery was dead so no starting or light checking. I stand by my original report of the number KD 93R or K0 93R. The Photos the keiser31 posted are very good. You can not see any of the wood and my greatest fear is that there is bad wood under the sheet metal. All the bolts that hold the fenders on have been replaced with new ones when they painted the car. There is a extra piece of metal to support the fender when you get in the rumble seat. It is like a second fender not a actual brace What is not shown in the pictures is that it has a very fine metal flake paint which really looks good in person. I am not happy with the vinyl in sides, my car was split thickness pig hide, looks and feels so much nicer, and costs a lot more.Frank

Guest martylum

Frank-interesting car but if you are going to seriously show in the AACA , better check the color mix formulas as I don't remember any metallic colors when I painted a Model K Desoto a dark green body color with a teal bead molding.

Marty Lum

1030 Desoto CK roadster

Marty, You are correct. This car is just a fun car for about 3 years and then the wood will give way. I have a Dodge that I dumped a big bucket of money in went to the Dodge Brothers big meet. They would not even consider it for Judging because I put clear coat on it. This car also has clear coat. I have decided not to buy it and be stuck at 35 M.P.H where ever I go. I am going to sell my 1928 Desoto Coup and put the money in to my 2 Door Dodge. My 4 Door died at 1,010,000. My Coupe has 1,014,000 on it and is still going. I turned in my mileage form to AACA last year and they never answered back. I can only assume that 7,800 miles is too much for them to believe. Oh! all of my Dodges are 1936 and their all Black. Frank

Ok, looks like I have messed stuff a little. Jack M. is correct the mileage should be one hundred ten thousand and one hundred fourteen thousand not one million. Yes I drive a lot. I took the Coupe to work this week that was 250 miles for the week. Kizer31 is correct the AACA rules are a lot stricter than Dodge Brothers Club. Yes Taylormade it was the Dodge Brothers Club Nation Meet in Tacoma Washington. No clear coat. I have gotten off the reason of this thread. To gain information about DeSotos. Frank