Is your pan flat ?

FLYER15015

post-70733-143142162857_thumb.jpg

So for our annual pan cleaning party we took note of the distortion (mushrooming) that has crept into the flange of our pan around the bolt holes, from Lord knows how many offs and ons and we decided to do something about it. Put her up on blocks, drug out the old straight edge and hammer, and started whacking away. This did not take long at all, and it saved a whole lot of Permatex.post-70733-143142162893_thumb.jpg Here you can see the results. Just a thought for those that follow.

Mike in Colorado

:):):)

post-70733-1431421628_thumb.jpg

post-70733-143142162831_thumb.jpg

Guest outlaw car man

Up there in the mountains, when you guys start trapping for Beaver, try using Castrol oil to shine the valve cover, then rub it down with Elk hide. I learned that at the Rendezvous in 1974. Let's see if the Aussies figure that one out . Only in the Colorado high country. Sandy

Oh Sandy, have you really gone over to the dark side ? Castrol is a mother country product. We've switched over to bear grease up here. Works real good on the wagon's bearings too, provided you don't let the mules run too often. All the hot rodders up here keep a spare bucket full hanging from the rear axle.

Better than Brillcream too.............. See if they figger that one out.......... Did I just end a sentance with a preposition ?..... Ooops.

Mike

Guest Grant Magrath

Um, we got Brillcream in NZ back in the day! Apparently a little dab'll do ya. Strike me pink, the yanks are trying it on Danny! Fair suck of the sav, they've got no show!

Cheers

Grant

Yep, "Brylcreem, a little dab'll doya" Horrible how that jingle still comes back 40 years on. It was very popular when I was a kid.

My father and a few uncles shovelled the stuff on every morning. I remember my grandmother running for a doyley to put on the back of the lounge chair every time we would visit her. Down here, we use Goanna Oil to polish our rocker covers. It's also a good rust preventative and good for anything that ails you from the pain of arthritis, rheumatism, lumbago, muscular soreness.

Danny

Yep, "Brylcreem, a little dab'll doya" Horrible how that jingle still comes back 40 years on. It was very popular when I was a kid.

My father and a few uncles shovelled the stuff on every morning. I remember my grandmother running for a doyley to put on the back of the lounge chair every time we would visit her. Down here, we use Goanna Oil to polish our rocker covers. It's also a good rust preventative and good for anything that ails you from the pain of arthritis, rheumatism, lumbago, muscular soreness.

Danny

(Grant, according to our soon to be ex PM, it's fair suck of the sauce bottle. :) :) )

Guest Grant Magrath

We have Tuatara Oil here. Thanks for the Emu duster Stuart! The Kiwi feather one was getting a bit tired!

Cheers

Grant

I just double checked. The Brylcreem is in the medicine cabinet. Even bald guys need a little help to avoid that "Einstein" look around the edges.

I'm all for taking a pan off once in a while. After you drain the oil out it's just an inspection cover.

Bernie

Next time a little less torque and maybe a washer or two. It's a major deal to get that pan off my 41.

Yep Bud, we did add the biggest flat washer that Truevalue Hardware had, that would fit in between the ribs stamped in the pan flange, plus new lock washers, and many new bolts.post-70733-143142177069_thumb.jpgAs shown here.

This also shows the "header wrap" tape we added, from the base of the carb, clear back to the muffler, to try and keep the heat out of the engine room, and away from the master cylinder. Took 2 twentyfive foot rolls, and it seems to be doing the job.

Mike in Colorado