1937 Sedan Master Cylinder

Guest etnfrd67

Guest etnfrd67

Anyone know where I could find a master cylinder for a 37 4 door sedan? Andy Bernbaum does not have them all ready called.

Guest DodgeKCL

Carquest and NAPA should still have them,even an off brand parts store, BUT don't go in looking for a "'37 Dodge 4 door sedan master cylinder". The kid will punch up his computer,if he will go that far, and say we don't have any. If you take it into the store and play dumb, a middle age to older guy will look through the computer for photos of any old ones he can still get. You may not get the exact one,highly unlikely, but the same 3 bolt mounting master cylinder was used for years and years by Chrylser in all their vehicles, cars and trucks. I don't when they stopped using that style but I believe Chrysler was still using it in the 60s possibly 70s. The NAPA and Carquest stores I deal with understand the problem and will look around for something like a master cylinder or wheel cylinder even to searching for a day or so and phone me and let me know if they found something or not. You gotta get friendly with these guys and some of the older counter staff will help you. Wheel cylinders for instance for our old vehicles are still used in tow motors/lift trucks. That's where guys like Bernbaum get them. He's made a list over the years of what fits what and just resells it to you.

I am guessing that the Dodge used the same master cylinder as Plymouth which would be Chrysler part number 858889. That number was used on Plymouth for passenger cars from 1937 through 1941 (P3 through P12). I haven't been able to find a cross to a mainstream (NAPA, Wagner, Raybestos, etc.) manufacturer for that would.

If the Dodge uses the same part I'd like to know.

If anyone knows of a cross to a currently available manufacturer's number, I'd really like to know.

I'm pretty sure trhat the Wagner no.is F3241 (11/8 bore , 3/8-24 outlets. An odd looking unit with an extended reservoir with a large hole on the end. Should still be available at a good NAPA store.

That would be the cross for Chrysler part 1118284 used on P14 and P15 (and maybe later). I think that looks similar to the one for '37-'41 but Chrysler listed a different part number and I'm guessing they had a reason.

Guest Henry White
I have a master cylinder from a 1941 Plymouth. It would obviously need a rebuild.

If you are interested I can dig it out and check it to see if yours matches, send you pics....

Send me an email to coozie44@yahoo.com

Joe

The one from 1941 Plymouth car is the exact same as the 1937 Dodge car. These have been rare ( in NOS ) for at least 30 years. They have been far more expensive than other Mopar of the era for 30 years also. 42 & up is much different, wont work, same for 36, no go. The 88**** number posted above is correct, but they are difficult to find. I have some nos bodies that could be rebuilt, not sure if I have any more complete units though.

Guest DodgeKCL

Isn't this what you have? Not that one? This one is 1959 and is the same mounting and general shape and fittings as all the 1930s cars and trucks,Plymouth and Dodge. post-31311-143142154285_thumb.jpg

Isn't this what you have? Not that one? This one is 1959 and is the same mounting and general shape and fittings as all the 1930s cars and trucks,Plymouth and Dodge. [ATTACH=CONFIG]210175[/ATTACH]

This one will work for '33 through '36. Maybe also '31 or '32 but I'd have to check the parts book on that.

I think etnfrd67 is correct on the one for '37-'41.

If the original poster has anything at all of the original master cylinder it would probably be cheaper, and maybe better, to have it sleeved and then put a rebuild kit into it. At least the internals are pretty standard if I recall correctly.

Guest etnfrd67

Yes the picture is for up to a 36. The original is still in the car but its not holding pressure so I think it could be rebuilt.

Guest DodgeKCL

Gentlemen how could this style be only up to 1936! This IS a 1959 Dodge master cylinder from a 1959 Dodge manual! And as far as I know it was used on Dodge and Plymouth for years. If you look up a part like this and try to use a substitution guide it will say it does not 'fit' a particular year because the input shaft has a different fitting on it etc. You can use your fittings as I did. But I know that this is the most common style for CPDD. It was even used on the Dodge Airflow trucks. Somebody's yanking your chain.

Guest Henry White
Here is a pic of one that was on ebay[ATTACH=CONFIG]210172[/ATTACH] There is one on there now the guy wants $425.00

This one is correct for 37-41 Mopar cars. Dont pay $425.00 remove yours, send it out for a resleeving, then install a kit from Andy B. Estimated cost well under $200

My Wagner book (1991 buyers guide) does not show that particular unit so it must have been out of production a long time prior to publishing. I think another member had a question on a '37 master cylinder and his car used a different type( Long type) with 2 mounting holes at the bottom. I guess your best bet would be to have yours rebuilt.

Gentlemen how could this style be only up to 1936! This IS a 1959 Dodge master cylinder from a 1959 Dodge manual! And as far as I know it was used on Dodge and Plymouth for years. If you look up a part like this and try to use a substitution guide it will say it does not 'fit' a particular year because the input shaft has a different fitting on it etc. You can use your fittings as I did. But I know that this is the most common style for CPDD. It was even used on the Dodge Airflow trucks. Somebody's yanking your chain.

I don't have parts books for later than '48 and mine are Plymouth centric so I don't know everything that was used on. The master cylinder you show was used on Plymouth commercial (trucks) while the cars went to a different style. Maybe cars went back to that style in the '50s. . . Maybe only trucks used them. . . I don't know. I suspect they were used a long time because they are still available. And I know that will just bolt on to my '33 without even adjusting the brake lines, just have to adjust the length of the actuating rod by a smidge. Got the one I used until I had my original MC sleeved and re-installed sitting on the shelf "just in case".

But it is not used on the '37-'41 Plymouth cars or on the '42-'48 Plymouths. Or apparently Dodge cars of the same vintage.

Guest Henry White

They were rare 35 years ago. Back then I found a couple NORS Wagner units at $15.00 each. Big money,, then. The filler cap on the Wagner units has a larger square head and much bigger threads than the Mopar units. I did find that one easier to pour fluid into.

Guest etnfrd67
hi

i have one totally rebuilt its off my 38 dodge D8 asking 225.00 if interested

john

Got mine off the car last week and sent it to apple to get rebuilt but thanks for the offer.