Does anyone know the purpose of the recess under my front seat?

Dwight Romberger

Dwight,

Is that where the jack and folding handle might fit?

On my '34 & '37, the battery is also under the front seat.

Dwight, I forget the year of your car, but that does not seem to be the depth of the recess in a '32. Mine is about six inches and will hold the jack, handle and all the other tools. The rear floor is flat in he area where the passengers feet and the foot rest would be. I have no photos at present that you could few. John

Marty and John. Thanks for the response.

The recess is 1 1/2" deep.

I didn't get a jack with the car, so I guess I wasn't thinking of a place to put one!

There was probably a tool kit that came with the car that might go there.

It looks like my crank will fit in there also.

Dwight

Making roof bows today and a few other wood body pieces.

While the frame is exposed, I am going to inject Gorilla glue into all the joints. It should tighten things up considerably.

Edited by Dwight Romberger (see edit history)

Dwight,

My coupe has a similar shape under the rear seat. There is no access whatsoever to that area so I can only conclude it is designed to provide additional strength in an area of the floor constructed of sheet metal. If you have access to the area perhaps there is another reason in your case. The balance of the sheet metal on my floor has the ribs that yours does but does not sag.

Thanks,

Dwight,

You might want to check to see if all your flooring panels are installed correctly. Mine has the ribs pointing down where yours are pointing up and I am certain that is the way they left the factory. You mentioned they sagged and I was just wondering if someone has had them off at one time. Probably not an issue but just something I noticed.

post-63406-14314213448_thumb.jpg

Thanks Michael.

The ribs point down on mine also. The pic just makes it look like they are pointing up.

Your floors are really flat compared to mine.

Dwight

Dwight my 31 Chevy is of similar construction ...yes as noted the space under the seat is storage and my floors sag a bit as well....Probably those kids jumping up and down before seat belts have stretched the floor panel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest dragonlance1964

I have a related question on a 1930 buick 60 series. How do you release the front seat so that you can get under it? The old owner (my grandfather) has stored a lot of spare parts under the front seat in that recessed area you've been talking about

Guest dragonlance1964

thanks for the help getting under my front seat on my model 67. To add to the question of the purpose of the recess under the seat my buick had the factory jack, engine crank handle, and split rim tool in the recess.

• 2 weeks later...
thanks for the help getting under my front seat on my model 67. To add to the question of the purpose of the recess under the seat my buick had the factory jack, engine crank handle, and split rim tool in the recess.

goes back to my Post #2,

it just makes good sense,

and since you have to remove the seat cushion, your wife has to get out of the car while you jack it up!!

This could be a safety feature:confused: , or could be easier to jack with reduced weight on the jack:rolleyes:.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Shoe1932

Jscheib

Is the tool recess for a '32 - 67 under the back seat or at the back floor where the passengers feet go. Need some advice before I begin looking.

Thanks