1964 Buick Electra Ignition Switch?

Guest Russ Williams

Guest Russ Williams

Hey,

I am getting a Buick I found back on the road after many years. I believe I need an ignition switch, though it could be the key cylinder for the switch or, something else?

Here is what is happening: The starter wants to kick back in after the key is released. So, it starts the car fine but then tries to kick the starter gear back in randomly. It does not do this consistently. Sometimes it will start right up and the starter never disengages. Other times it starts and runs as normal, then kicks the starter again after 20 seconds or so.

Also, I discovered that turning the key to "Accessory" also engages the starter!

I found a YouTube Video that walked me through the "top secret" ignition switch removal (turn to Acc. push a paperclip through the hole to get the lock release, twist counter-clockwise). I cleaned the key cylinder and switch with ether, lubed and re-assembled. No change at all.

So, am I missing anything? Should I be buying a switch, cylinder, complete assembly, or do I have a crossed wire or something?

Thanks in advance!

Russ

I would recommend that before replacing the ignition switch, loosen the small wires on the front of the Starter solenoid, and then rotate and tighten them to make sure neither is touching the battery cable terminal on the solenoid.

Guest Russ Williams

Thanks for your input John! I followed your advise and took it one step further. I pulled and cleaned all of the wiring from the solenoid, then followed all connections back to the ignition switch, insuring strong and clean contact. Once this was done, she fired right up!

Thanks for the offer Pete! Hopefully the issue is now solved! Keep that switch on the shelf, you never know!

Here is the fire-up: