Help with Mystery Motor!

Guest Chopp

Guest Chopp

Hi! Need some help identifying this motor... purchased at an estate sale and we have no idea of the vintage or application. We believe it to be in the Teen's. Any help would be great! Thanks!

post-95159-14314201727_thumb.jpg

post-95159-143142017301_thumb.jpg

Guest Chopp
I think not Maxwell - which is the ancestor of the Chrysler/Plymouth fours. They don't have the carb on the other side. Here is a 1917 Maxwell - Model T Ford Forum: Help with this engine. As someone commented on that Model T site there were lots of fours around at that time. Are there any casting marks which would give a clue to who the foundry was?

I can't seem to see any casting marks but there is a few part numbers - most of the parts the part no. starts with "300". All 6 digit numbers, such as the Head 300257, Pedal 300042, Emergency Brake 300100 and the Transmission housing is 300120. Number on the Block is 303078 W-5. Thanks for all your help.

Guest Chopp

Thank you so much, I think we have a match! Do your numbers start with 300 on most of the casted parts. Some small differences - the head water neck is closer to the front on ours. Thanks again for solving our mystery on the shop floor for over a year!