55' Buick Special ---rear air

Guest btate

Guest btate

One of the best decisions I made was deciding to install the Vintage trunk mounted a/c unit. I really like the quietness on low speed, you can barely hear it run. Medium I hear it a little and a little more on high speed. The cool air seems to just roll up to the front of the car and feels great on low speed. I made one good decision. I hope someone can benefit from this experience.

Guest btate

My car did not originally have a/c. I used the complete system from Vintage. The refrigerant is 134. I will try to post pictures

Not sure what Bill did, but on my wagon that I installed an underdash unit in, I used the original charging system. The Sanden compressor uses less horsepower and the fan blowers draw less juice than the two original fans in the trunk unit.

I understand that the original A/C 'heavy duty' generator had an two belt pulley and

Also, the A/C jobs have a 13psi radiator cap in place of the standard 7psi cap

Last month , i had my generator rebuilt. The rebuilders put in sealed bearings.

EDIT as Willie has pointed out I had some things wrong in my post.

I have edited it .

Thanks Willie for pointing that out

Edited by bhambulldog
Wrong (see edit history)

I understand that the original A/C 'heavy duty' generator had an two belt pulley and heavier beaings. But put out 30 amps the same as the nonA/C generator.

So, theoretically an upgrade is not called for.

And your set up may very well prove that in practice.

Also, the A/C jobs have a 7psi radiator cap in place of the standard 3psi cap

Last month , i had my generator rebuilt. The rebuilders put in sealed bearings.

The generator for 55 a/c cars have a 2 groove pulley to match the 2 grooves on the a/c compressor. The only difference in the generator itself is the tag number and a more robust armature --- bearings are the same. The last big Buicks that used generators have a 45 amp matched to 45 amp voltage regulator; there were some 60 amp units used in professional cars (I have one, but cannot find a matching 60 amp regulator)

The standard radiator cap in 55 is a 7# and the a/c cars use a 13#.

;):):D Willie

Another vote for pix Bill! Am thinking ahead to an under dash or rear air setup. Is the only change the cap pressure on the radiator - no extra rows?

How about the fan - there is supposed to be a 5 blade fan - did you "acquire" one or match something up?

Can you take a shot up front of the bracket and pulley setup too please? There are a couple different setups folks have used. Did you make the brackets?

Guest btate

I used an alternator (100 amp), 16 lb radiator cap, electric fan, more efficient radiator, and we did make our brackets and powder coated. I may have an extra bracket for either the compressor or alternator------cannot remember------why we cut two I do not know. I will try to post pictures tomorrow including pulley/harmonic balancer set up. The evaporator/fan housing I used some 2" neoprene tape to wrap the housing but really did not have to do that, just extra protection against condensation.