Curious battery problem, 6 volt

Beltfed

I have the 6 volt battery out of my Zephyr while doing a host of projects. It is the wet cell type. I noticed that while just sitting there (on wooden bench), the middle cell has solution creeping out past the cap and making a small puddle on the top of the battery. The cells have the correct solution level (not overfull). What would cause this and how do I stop it? Thanks

Sometimes the electrolyte level in one cell is higher than the others although they may look the same. Also, the separater between the cells may have a crack or hole. This will allow the electrolyte from the cell with the highest level to flow to an adjacent cell until the levels are equal. this may be the cause of what you are seeing with your battery.

JOE, BCS 33493

I'd be interested in hearing an expert's take on this, but I always figured that the dampness around the fill caps was due to the normal outgassing that takes place as the electrolyte reacts with the lead plates. I figured the small hydrogen bubbles carry up some of the liquid with them as they vented out of the cap. Now, why that might be happening at one cell and not at the others has me baffled. Could it be that the vent hole in that cap is blocked, and the gas is leaking out past the cap threads? Does the vent hole somehow capture the moisture?

Have no idea how old the battery is. Was in the car when purchased last fall. Am going to pull a hydrometer test on it for clues to this question. On another site it was suggested that out gassing due to heat might be the problem. It's sitting in my working garage where the heat of the day has not gotten above 82deg F. I don't think that's it. I always think it's a good idea to post the solution of a problem when you find it. "I'll be back" as Arnold (Terminator) would say.

Edited by Beltfed
Spelling (see edit history)

Here are the results of my test. I added distilled water to bring all cells to proper height. Charged for about 4 hours at two to three amps. Temperature of solution was approx. 80 deg. F. All cells measured 1250 on the hygrometer. So, any clue to what's going on? Thanks

I believe what is occurring is the seperation of the acid and water in that cell. The densities between the acid and the water are causing the acid to fall to the bottom and the water to rise. This is not usually observed as the battery is undergoing charge and discharge cycles as well as the vehicle's forward and side-to-side motion which will mix the solution. The battery just sitting on the bench isn't moving. Just one theory :)

OK, as suggested I let the battery rest for four days and just retested. Reading is 1275 on all three cells. Why it jumped up 25 point is somewhat a mystery. Did notice a small amount of solution has gathered on top of battery. I'm still a year or so from taking her out so I am going to think about replacing this battery with a newer technology kind. I'll keep this one in the shop for testing 6 volt stuff.

Friartuck, a suggestion I will look into. I retired from assisting in nuclear reactor research. The research reactor has two very large battery racks. A whole somewhat large room full. They are used as an emergency power back up to pump large amounts of water over the core. They sat in their racks for long periods of time untouched except for cleaning and testing.

Edited by Beltfed (see edit history)

Beltfed,

The racks of back up batteries you mentioned were likely in a constant charge and discharge cycle which is a form of aggitation. A chemistry to consider is Absorbed Gas Mat (AGM). Its in the gel cell family of batteries. I recently bought one for my motorcycle and so far so good. AGM's seem to be available for the motorcycle/ATV/utility vehiicle category. They do make them for 6 volt, but seem pricey. From a cost/benefit aspect, I suspect you can buy a normal lead acid version and use it for several years and replace it for the price of the AGM (just worth mentioning).

I did a little research, and learned that hydrochloric (HCl) acid is hygroscopic. That is, it readily absorbs water in the form of humidity from the atmosphere. I think what may be happening here is that there is a dried residue of HCl on the top of the battery, and the moisture you are seeing is not coming from inside the battery cells. Rather, it is the HCl attracting moisture from the air.

Try cleaning the top of the battery with a baking soda in water solution. Baking soda neutralizes the acid. Don't flood the top of the battery with the baking soda, because some might get into the cells and neutralize the acid there, which you don't wan't. Rather, wipe the top of the battery several times with a paper towel that was soaked with the baking soda solution. You will see a foaming reaction as the baking soda reacts with the acid. Do this a few times, then rinse with paper towels soaked in clear water, then dry the battery.

Did as Pete O suggested. Wiped the top down with a towel damp with baking soda/ water. After two days a very small puddle has reappeared (maybe three to four drops). Battery came with car from South Dakota. Maybe it's just sweating in our juicy southern air?

No, I would described as a hard rubber top, maybe plastic. The battery name is "DuroLast" I think.

I have not left the caps off. If I'm going to put it in the car I would not drive it without caps. I have shaken the caps to check if there may liquid inside them but no luck. They all seem to weight the same in my hand.

Do I need to donate this thing to the automotive research facility operated by the Oak Ridge National Laboratory located two miles down the road from the shop?

Guest CaptainGTX

I have the same problem with my 12 volt Mopar vintage reproduction battery in my 69 Plymouth GTX. The battery came with the red screw-on caps sealed, but I broke them open when the battery wouldn't take a charge. I added water & was able to charge it up. That happened two years ago and the battery still works fine, but water (or very diluted acid) still leaks past the gaskets under the caps. Since I live in a dry climate, I don't believe it could be atmospheric water, plus it only happens when the battery is charging, especially on a tender.

I was thinking about using some kind of sealant that could be broken into again to address the problem. But then I wouldn't want to take a chance on blowing up the battery!