What Chrome Cleaner/Polish Do You Use?

Guest dwhiteside64

Guest dwhiteside64

Hi all,

Seeing that I haven't delt with buffing chrome in some time, I need a little advice from the experts here. I mainly worry about polish leaving a film that will detract from the overall shine. Any suggestions in regards to what works the best? Is this another example of "what you pay for something is what you get"?

Thanks

I use a product called 'AUTOSOL', Metal Polish - made in Germany and comes in a tube like toothpaste.

It will work wonders on chrome, brass, copper, nickle. stainless steel, or any other surface you want to apply it to.

I discovered this product at a motor cycle shop about 30 years ago, and swear by it !!

www.autosol.de

Guest dwhiteside64

Thanks guys for all your input. I can see that there are many good products out there. BTW, I use Amazon, and like it very much! :)

So many of the readily available chrome cleaners and polishes specifically recommend that they should NOT be used on chromed plastic parts, which so much of the trim pieces on modern vehicles are, as opposed to the chromed steel components of yesteryear. So what could be recommend for chromed plastic trim?

Most of the chrome cleaners mentioned above contain a certain amount of fine abrasives - these abrasives will easily wear through the thin vacuum chrome plating on modern plastic parts and destroy the finish. So just plain old soap 'n water, or a non-abrasive cleaner should be used on chromed, painted, or faux wood grain plastic trim pieces to minimize the chances of permanently damaging the finish.