Removing wood wheels on a 32-56 series sedan.

8014haar

Greetings,

Today I am working on the 1932 Buick again. Have redone the front hubs and brakes and moving on to the rears. My problem is how to get the rear wheels and brake drums off the rear axle. I have removed the nuts and locking washers off the keyed tapered axle ends, but don't see any way to get the wheels to slide off the axle without some sort of pulled. This style of wheel has a threaded grease cap that screws onto the large fine threaded end of the wheel. I am guessing there is some type of puller that screws onto the wheel threads and allows you to push on the end of the axle to remove the wheel and drum. Book says "don't bang on the axle or the rim, but does not specify how to remove the wheel. Anyone out there with experience in removing these old wood spoke wheels from the rear axles? There are no holes or lugs inside the hub to fasten onto and nothing to hook a claw puller to.

Thanks,

Greg.

Hi Greg,

I don't have a wood wheeled Buick, but I assume it is similar to my Auburn. With my Auburn I use a puller like you describe. Best bet is measure the diameter of your threaded wheel and check the thread count and start searching. I've heard of people loosening the nut and drivng around slowly to try and loosen the wheel, but I've never attempted it.

You have already hit on the best & recommended method (puller), and the worst (driving on a loose wheel).

There is one more old timer method I have used with success before I had pullers made for all my cars. I know it will seem strange, but this works by moving the car away from the wheel without damage to the axle.

Jack up the wheel opposite the one you want to remove to put more weight on the one to be removed.

Loosen the axle nut on the wheel to be removed until it is flush with the end of the axle.

Use a block of wood to protect the axle & nut and hit it firmly with a sledge hammer.

Repeat as needed until the wheel pops loose.

Hub pullers can be machined on a lathe by duplicating the hub cap thread size as shown here:

post-41092-143141930774_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)

"Jack up the wheel opposite the one you want to remove to put more weight on the one to be removed.

Loosen the axle nut on the wheel to be removed until it is flush with the end of the axle.

Use a block of wood to protect the axle & nut and hit it firmly with a sledge hammer.

Repeat as needed until the wheel pops loose."

Now that sounds like a good idea if you are in a bind. Thanks for the suggestion.

I've also known of people to beat on the wheel with a sledge hammer from the back side. I've seen a few mutilated rims and even drums from this method.

Carl

Hi Greg,

If you want to get a puller made, the person to do it is George McMurtry. I sent him one of my grease caps (because I didn't trust my own thread measurements) and he turned a beautiful one out for me on his lathe. He does not charge nearly what they are worth and guarrantees his work. Plus, he is a fellow car enthusiast and all around great guy to do business with. His phone number 308-586-1930.

Dwight<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

I second the quality of work of George.!! . .

Hi Greg,

If you want to get a puller made, the person to do it is George McMurtry. I sent him one of my grease caps (because I didn't trust my own thread measurements) and he turned a beautiful one out for me on his lathe. He does not charge nearly what they are worth and guarrantees his work. Plus, he is a fellow car enthusiast and all around great guy to do business with. His phone number 308-586-1930.

Dwight<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

I second the quality of work of George.!! . .

Hello, did you find a keyway on your wheel hub? I have a 28-58 and wanted to check the rear bearings and started to removed the wheel with no luck until I removed the acorn nuts which holds on the hub..after you remove it there was a large nut which holds in the keyway which drives the hub..for safety I replaced the new departure bearings because of the pulling. There's a cut-away pic in the manual (rear axel) but it's hard to see. good luck...