Senior Six Carburetor

RWPerry

Does anyone know of a good substitute for the Stromberg TX-2 carburetor used in the 2249 Senior Six. I got three of them with the car and I am trying to come up with enough useable parts to put one together. However, they have all been hit with the pot metal plague. If I can find a non-potmetal carb that would work I would certainly try it since I intend to drive the car and want it to be reliable.

Try: vintageandclassicreproductions.com

They are in Australia and their US agent is: myersearlydodge.com

Both top notch people. I have their carb on my'28 Std 6. Obviously differs from yours but kind of in the same family.

High quality reflected in the $$$

Paul

Guest 1930

You do not need to go thru an agent to buy their items, you can buy directly from them and save the middle man fees, quality as mentioned cannot be beat

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

I must have finally found the right combination of carburetor parts. I got the engine started today for the first time. It needs a little tweaking but at least the engine is running. Another Senior Six back on the road after a 35 year abandonment.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dbtimesthree

Hi The 29/30 Senior takes a UX3 Stromberg to be correct, The X indicates it is a cross mounted flange, All Strombergs with the X in the designation indicate cross mounting flange, that is perpendicular to the block.The UX2, and the U2 and the Detroit Lubricator ( Stewart ) will not fit this application. The reproductions that come from Australia are only the U2 and the UX2. The only later carb that is the correct replacement is the Carter 289S and it requires an adaptor flange. Your mounting bolt pattern size is 2 and 15/16 of an inch centre to centre. I have a fully restored OX3 and also a good unrestored UX3 for sale, and an unrestored 289S. The OX2 is too small for your car shouldn't fit the manifold. Please check your bolt spacing, this is critical. Unfortunately these carbs are scarce, and restored expensive. I run the carter 289S on my Senior ( 1929 ) with very good results and as I indicated earlier this is the only correct later replacement carb from the carter interchange list. The nice thing is with the 289S is it cast iron and the OX3 3 is brass so both pretty much being bullet proof. The OX3 is the earlier version of the UX3 with is pot metal. Hope that helps. Bill DBC - Standard Six Tech Advisor.

Hi The 29/30 Senior takes a UX3 Stromberg to be correct, The X indicates it is a cross mounted flange, All Strombergs with the X in the designation indicate cross mounting flange, that is perpendicular to the block.The UX2, and the U2 and the Detroit Lubricator ( Stewart ) will not fit this application. The reproductions that come from Australia are only the U2 and the UX2. The only later carb that is the correct replacement is the Carter 289S and it requires an adaptor flange. Your mounting bolt pattern size is 2 and 15/16 of an inch centre to centre. I have a fully restored OX3 and also a good unrestored UX3 for sale, and an unrestored 289S. The OX2 is too small for your car shouldn't fit the manifold. Please check your bolt spacing, this is critical. Unfortunately these carbs are scarce, and restored expensive. I run the carter 289S on my Senior ( 1929 ) with very good results and as I indicated earlier this is the only correct later replacement carb from the carter interchange list. The nice thing is with the 289S is it cast iron and the OX3 3 is brass so both pretty much being bullet proof. The OX3 is the earlier version of the UX3 with is pot metal. Hope that helps. Bill DBC - Standard Six Tech Advisor.

The UX2 (OX2) is the correct carb for your 2249; the 29'/30' Seniors engine is about 50% more powerful than the 27' Senior hence the need to fit a large carb, UX3 or in Bill case a Carter 289S.