12V Generator in '55 Buick Special - added radio/SiriusXM

Guest BuddyBuick

Pictures of the mechanics AND the tank & sending unit could be telling.

Actually the one word response "Pictures?" made me think of a conversation like this:

But that would be a real risk of not getting it.

Bernie

Guest BuddyBuick

Hi guys,

Here's the sending unit I bought - (Buick NEW Fuel Sender Unit With Flare Fitting 1939 Thru 1956 56 Catalog | eBay)

I spoke to the seller who definitely knows his stuff. He's assured me he's sold many of these, and has never had an issue. I'm more inclined to assume my tank was changed at some point.

I don't have any pics of my tank at the moment. but I'll try to take some soon. I'm wondering if I can't just remove the current one and rebuild it? My mechanic (I trust the dude so no worries there) says that the pickup tube on the new unit doesn't reach the bottom of the tank.

Todd

Guest BuddyBuick

Mike,

I'll have to speak to the mechanic and find out what exactly the distance was from tip of the pickup tube to the bottom of the tank. I'm guessing my tank can't be anymore than 12 inches?

Ben

Would that be a temporary fix? Or can she last a while like that?

Todd

Even though the pickup tube is a foot, the tank is only maybe six inches deep. (The tube goes diagonally)

The last one I installed had the opposite problem. I had to tweak the tube "up" slightly, as it was hitting the bottom of the tank. This is of course assuming that you have a 55 Buick tank and not a replacement "fuel cell" type gas tank. (Very square)

Guest BuddyBuick

Mike,

I just got off the phone with the mechanic. Here's what he said -

Tube was too long, and the inside of the tank is filled with rust - this may very well be what was causing the stalling. heh. Go figure eh?

I think I'm going to look for a new tank, WITH sending unit already with it. Muxh easier that way I think.

Todd

Todd,

There are a few options.

Take it to a radiator shop and have them boil it out and check for leaks.

I would recommend against the DIY sealer kits, personally.

Option two.

Gas Tank RENU - USA

I had them do this process on my Special. It says there are dealers in Canada. This stuff is bulletproof!

Bob sells new reproduction gas tanks that your tube will fit in. Make sure your mechanic is installing it the correct direction and it has the thick rubber gasket between it and the tank. The tank could have taken a hit also, which could narrow it. The only thing I don't like about the reproductions are that they are sold in a flat box. It comes with a rubber hose that joins the tube and tank. I didn't like the look of that for my convertible (since it will be judged), so I used the old filler tube, and had it soldered to the new tank at a radiator repair shop.

Guest BuddyBuick

Mike,

Thanks for the info. I have Bob's catalogue, but not here at the office unfortunately. I found <a href="http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=130/category_id=102/home_id=-1/mode=prod/prd130.htm" target="newwin"> THIS site though</a>; because I'm hoping to just keep it simple and quick. The weather's getting really nice here and I don't want my Buick sitting in the shop like it was last summer. :( I figure if I just replace the tank and get a unit FOR that new tank I'll be driving around quicker.

I located the place here in Quebec that actually does the Renu stuff, but then I'll have the same problem with my sending unit (the one that doesn't seem to fit).

Thoughts?

Todd

Personally, I'd save the shipping and cost of the tank and take it to the Renu dealer, especially if it is close.

It'll fit if its the right tank in decent shape. Renu will also straighten the existing tank out a little bit. Maybe take them the sending unit when you drop it off and make them fit it.

Guest BuddyBuick

Well, I emailed Bob at Bob's Automobilia (where I bought the sending unit), and asked if he had tanks. If he does, shipping shouldn't be TOO much. a set of 4 tires from Coker ships here at just about 100 bucks, so a tank shouldn't be too far off.

I also contacted Renu here in Quebec. They're not too close to me, but I can get there. It'll take 'em a while to reply.

I"ll let you know what happens though.

Guest BuddyBuick

Hi dudes,

Just bought a brand new tank from Bobs'. Being shipped today, hopefully I'll have it within a week. I'm stoked. Waiting for the fuel filter too.

Just a little update. :)

Todd