Noob need help...

72gs455

I can't get it...

Ok im a little green on these so here goes...

322 Nailhead with a Dynaflow has been sitting in a field for years.

here is my issue.

I have taken the nail and the dyna out of the beast to rebuild it. Problem is that it has seized pistons, how can I get it apart with out being able to spin it? I disconnected rod caps and can move a couple pistons partially up. Shouldn't I be able to completely pull these out through the top? Is there a lip or is it just that rusted?

It has 1 shattered piston and at least 2 others have markings from something on the passenger side.

The drivers side had an animal living in 1

These are the 4 that won't move.

I don't want to overload the first post, so ill stop here.

What Bill said. The pistons come out the top but there is usually a carbon ridge at the very top. If you can get a piston to move even a fraction of an inch you will be able to finally remove it. I have seen pistons that are so frozen in place they must be broken apart to get them out. Hopefully with time, enough penetrant, and persistence you will prevail. Some folks also like a 50/50 kerosene/oil mix as a penetrant. Others like PB Blaster.

I'm guessing you will need a rebuild and rebore..................Bob

Are you trying to save the engine or transmission or both? Be aware that even when separated you may find the reason it was parked in the first place like a cracked block or severe transmission failure. The affected cylinders will probably need sleeves. You may even need a cutting torch on the rods and/or crank. A bigger hammer in this case is a good thing. Consider making a thick plate bolted to the block over the piston using head bolt holes; drill and tap for a large bolt over the piston...metal disc over piston. I'm glad you are having this fun;).

Willie

Progress!

A few hours work, some brass, wood and a few hammers result in some progress. 6 are out, 2 are for another day. The reamer was needed as well as some patience. When I got the car 1 of the heads was off and I could see the shattered piston. All 4 of these pistons are toast, due to weather and divots left by something. I could not see the varmint nest in the other side. The nest is the worst one of all! Lots of corrosion and pitting. (Still stuck). I probably need to bore this one and put a sleeve in it.

I'll wait for another day for advice on rebuild parts...

Thanks,

Jerry

The divots are probably from the valve head due to stuck rockers or broken valve springs.

Forged pistons would be the best bet.

But, you need to see what shape your block is in first. (Magnaflux the block and the cylinders micrometered)) And, what you might have to do to the cylinders;

hone, over bore, sleeve....

Sent from my BlackBerry 9370 using Tapatalk