1937 DICTATOR-BURGESS OIL BATH AIR CLEANER DECAL

Guest 37Dictator

Guest 37Dictator

post-67899-143141810812_thumb.jpg

I recently finished restoring a Burgess Oil Bath Air Cleaner for my 37 Dictator Studebaker Part No: 191129. Does anyone have any reference to a decal burgess may have used to indicate the service interval similar to AC filters.

Any help is much appreciated.

post-67899-143141810802_thumb.jpg

Judging from your photos, it looks like you do some nice work! I wish I had a better response for you; I wasn't able to find decals for a prewar Burgess oil bath air cleaner. The closest I came was oil bath decals (nothing for prewar) on the following web site:

https://www.studebakerparts.com/studebakerparts/store/s/agora.cgi?product=dclc&cart_id=7345.27977

When I put "Burgess oil bath air cleaner decal" in my search engine, I got 155,000 hits. If you do find the correct decal, it would be great if you could post the source on this thread as I'm sure others are looking for the same or similar decals. Another source you can try is Bleil's Nostalgia Decals. Following is the contact info:

Jack Bleil

8329 Dartmoor Road

Mentor, Ohio 44060

Not sure if he has prewar decals, but I've purchased from him before and have been satisfied with his products. Good luck with your decal search.

TomB

Edited by TomB (see edit history)

Guest 37Dictator

Thanks Tom for responding to my post. I should have mentioned that I have searched the internet with every combination of words related to the Burgess Air Cleaner....but came up empty. I also searched companies supplying decals and could not find reference to the Burgess Air Cleaner...

I have an old repair manual that shows some Burgess Air Cleaner dated to about 1940. It shows the burgess decal as an oval decal and although I can read all of the type I assume the information will be typical as per the AC decal. I also assume the colours would be white border with red background as per the battery dry cell colors from the 1930s.

I was hoping a member had an original Burgess Oil Bath Air Cleaner on their car that could confirm if in fact ......there was a decal and what it looked like and what the text read.....

I will check out Bleils and will email Andrew Beckman at the SNM to see if there is a photo or document refence in the archives. I will gladly share any information I find with everyone. Thats what makes this hobby so interesting......

Frank

Frank, As you know, I have a "rusty" Burgess for the 37 that I hope to restore to replace

the dry type on my coupe. If you find anything, let me know. I went back and searched

my OLD data base from restoring the Coupe 30 years ago (pre internet and such) and had

a catalog from a vendor. Nothing there for Burgess. Mine has no trace of decal remaining.

Best regards, Don

Guest 37Dictator

George -The decals you have...They sound like the ones for that time period..as the manufacturers of the Dry Type and Oil Bath Air Cleaner typically indicate a 2000 mile interval for servicing. The colours with black added would also be conistent with the Mallory colours. I would like to obtain 1 or 2 if I can. Thanks for replying to my thread

........Frank

post-30762-143141820992_thumb.jpgDon, glad you are at least making some headway on the CE. I have a few of these decals, that I took in trade some years ago. I have no idea who made them. $5 if you would like one. I also have no idea if these are right for 1937! But they are the only Burgess that I have ever seen.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]185312[/ATTACH]Don, glad you are at least making some headway on the CE. I have a few of these decals, that I took in trade some years ago. I have no idea who made them. $5 if you would like one. I also have no idea if these are right for 1937! But they are the only Burgess that I have ever seen.
Yippee! Hold two for me- I have 2 of them to restore so I appreciate it if you can spare them after Frank grabs one. ;)

Yippee! Hold two for me- I have 2 of them to restore so I appreciate it if you can spare them after Frank grabs one. ;)

George

Are you keeping one to possibly reproduce some?

Many cars from that era are being restored.

Robert Kapteyn

Guest 37Dictator

George ..They look like the correct Burgess Decals for the time period ....I had assumed they would have more red in the logo as the OIl Bath Cleaner is painted Black ...I would like to have 2 of them and I will look into getting them reproduced..I have a friend who makes custom decals.

How can I get intouch with you tor forward payment...my email is fmitchell@mitchellassoc.com ..many thanks

Guest 37Dictator

George;Don;Tom...I finally got into my office where I had a manual ..Motor Factory Flat Rate Manual covering cars from 1936 to 1942. I scanned a print of a Burgess Air Cleaner post-67899-143141825053_thumb.jpg and a photo of the same Burgess Air Cleaner Dry Type I found on the internet. [Although the text on the print does not show up on my scan I can make out the service interval as 2000 miles ..Also the decal has red upper and lower panels... Georges decal is for an Oil Bath Type Air Cleaner is less refined than the one I show and is only in black and white...this could possibly indicate an earlier 1930's type of decal...so without an actual Photo of an original Studebaker Burgess Oil Bath Air Cleaner Decal we can only assume strongly we are in the time period.....I know Burgess made decal for specific manufacturers like Chrysler ....so they could have made this generic type decal before they and a lot of other manufacturers made customer specific decals or data labels .... Frank

post-67899-143141825047_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

• Hi George.  I don't know how often you look at this forum,  but I was wondering if you have any of those Burgess air cleaner decals left?  It is only 30 days until St Louis and I'm entering the final assembly stage for my '37 President coupe.  I think I can get the original air cleaner to be at least presentable, but a new decal would be great. I'd attach an image of the original decal (just barely readable), but can't get an "insert" icon to come up.  If you have any, please let me know the price and if your address has changed from the most recent ASC roster.  I'll get payment off right away.  Thanks.  Tom Lewis

I dashed off a quick version of the air cleaner decal artwork.  Assuming the air cleaner is about 7.5" in diameter, I scaled the decal to about 2.7" wide x 1.7" high, used gold as the background color with black lettering.  Does anyone have a real air cleaner to get the actual words, colors, and sizes?  I couldn't read the words in the old black and white photo posted above, so I just copied the words on the modern decal.

I can print off some water-slide decals on my color laser printer if anyone wants some.  Price is $10 including postage. 

Email me at: garyash (at) studegarage dot com 

post-91315-0-01788100-1437405609_thumb.j

Guest 37Dictator

Gary ..I originally posted this as I restored the Burgess Oil Bath Air Cleaner for my 37 Dictator. I'm at work right now and cant respond fully but will get back to you tonite.  

Great try at the artwork ... my only reference to the decal shows it with white background and red infill on the upper and lower section of the oval with white in the middle where the cleaning instructions are given. See my post and photo in a  previous post to your post.

Burgess was a battery company as you well know and their colours were dark red and black and white ..from the photo[circa 1940]  I can only assume the early decals would have been in these colours...... I will try to confirm the correct wording for the cleaning instructions.

In any event I would like to purchase two of the decals

Fortunately, Denis Dupont sent me a photo of the Burgess decal on his 1935 Commander along with dimensions.  Here is my adjusted version of the decal in red, black, and white.  It is extremely close to the original.  Size is 2-7/16" x 1-3/8".  Water-slide decal copies available at $10.00.  I have way too many hours in this, LOL!

Dr. C. F. Burgess was an amazing guy!  He developed the first practical dry cell batteries (Burgess/Mallory/Duracell) and the flashlight.  Among his other inventions were acoustical ceiling tile, air cleaner silencers, mufflers, and other interesting stuff.  See  https://www.burgessmanning.com/ab/company-history/.

post-91315-0-32586900-1437788696_thumb.j

post-91315-0-25799900-1437788722_thumb.j

Edited by Gary_Ash (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...