Aux input

NCReatta

So I'm looking to add an aux input on my 1990 convertible.

I have the CD player, and would like to retain the ability to use it. How would one go about hooking one up? Anyone done it before? Would anyone like to make one for me (naturally be compen$ated as well)

Guest Mc_Reatta

Keeping the CD player active and connected pretty much makes adding an aux input an internal radio modification. If you are willing to disconnect the CD player, then that connector can be used for an aux input by adding a switch somewhere to allow radio to be muted, and an aux input to fed to the amplifier.

So I'm looking to add an aux input on my 1990 convertible.

I have the CD player, and would like to retain the ability to use it. How would one go about hooking one up? Anyone done it before? Would anyone like to make one for me (naturally be compen$ated as well)

Look at a past thread(s) of the Bushwacker radio (search 'Bushwacker'). Steve posted some pictures of the radio many months ago (from a GMC Typhoon, Buick GNX and a Syclone). It gives you the option of using the CD built into the unit or using the Reatta CD unit. I've installed the radio in both a Reatta with and without an OEM CD unit and it works great (better then the OEM unit). You can get the radio either with an equalizer or separate treble and bass controls.

Ervin,now I am jealous.

I have mentioned to friends that if I ever won the lottery I might by a new "driver" as my newest driver car I have now is an '01 Beetle diesel and an '01 Chev PU.

The only other car I want is a '67 big block Corvette convertible.

I have a '63 Corvette and a '65 GTO convertible and others but want a '67 big block.

Ervin,now I am jealous.

I have mentioned to friends that if I ever won the lottery I might by a new "driver" as my newest driver car I have now is an '01 Beetle diesel and an '01 Chev PU.

The only other car I want is a '67 big block Corvette convertible.

I have a '63 Corvette and a '65 GTO convertible and others but want a '67 big block.

It's a great car to have in a collection and many of us always wanted a 63-67 Corvette. But as an adult it's not the best driving experience. These are street certified race cars. But the darn thing is noisy and side pipes don't make things any better. I can't drive down a residential street in the evening without waking people up (which would be a blast to do if I was in high school). For now, it sits quietly in the garage. As kids we'd salivate over such a car but as an adult, I'm happier in a more sedate cruiser.

Marck, I've been meaning to make one of these up for myself for some time.

If you don't want to mess up a perfectly good Reatta CD player harness, go to a wrecking yard and look for a late '80s to mid '90s GM car with an outboard cassette deck. A '88-'93 Regal or Cutlass would be a good target. You can easily salvage the plug and socket from it. They are the same connectors that are used on the bottom of the CD player. Then just make a little switch box from Radio Shack parts and hide it under the dash.

There are two connections, one for the audio stuff, the other for power/lights/etc. Only the audio connectors are really needed. But it would be useful to get both sets. Then make up the switch box with both sockets mounted so the CD player harness plugs into it, instead of the CD player. Do the switching on the audio lines and the aux jack. Then route both audio and power out on pigtails out to the plugs for the CD player.

When I do it, I will be sure to take photos for the forum.

Marck, I've been meaning to make one of these up for myself for some time.

If you don't want to mess up a perfectly good Reatta CD player harness, go to a wrecking yard and look for a late '80s to mid '90s GM car with an outboard cassette deck. A '88-'93 Regal or Cutlass would be a good target. You can easily salvage the plug and socket from it. They are the same connectors that are used on the bottom of the CD player. Then just make a little switch box from Radio Shack parts and hide it under the dash.

There are two connections, one for the audio stuff, the other for power/lights/etc. Only the audio connectors are really needed. But it would be useful to get both sets. Then make up the switch box with both sockets mounted so the CD player harness plugs into it, instead of the CD player. Do the switching on the audio lines and the aux jack. Then route both audio and power out on pigtails out to the plugs for the CD player.

When I do it, I will be sure to take photos for the forum.

I'd pay you to make one for me if you want a project. I can supply any parts you need.

Guest Corvanti

Marck, have you looked at those mp3 - fm transmitters found on amazon, ebay, etc.

it's not for an audiophile, but i picked up one for my '80 Corvette a couple years ago. it was in stereo and sounded as well as the fm stations did with the speakers, amp, etc. i installed. "cheap, fast and easy" - and moveable from car to car. :)

just a thought...

I have a couple and work well for me (make sure you get one that does not need returning whever the power is applied). Would just rather have a cubby and an aux jack.

Does anyone have one or two 90-91 cubbys so I can remove my CD ?