The Neverending Seach For parts

On a quest for missing parts for my 1932 Dodge DL sedan. I need a tail light, tail light stalk, license plate bracket, engine splash aprons and a rear seat foot rest. Okay, I can hear the laughing from here. I'm also searching for the Lost Dutchman mine - and probably have a better chance of finding it before I find the parts I need.

On a diffent note, I also am looking for the brackets that hold the lap robe rope and the two tassels in the backseat. I got a good look at the originals in Phil Kennedy's 32 Sedan when I visted him a few weeks ago. To my surprise, they appeared identical to the ones in my recently sold 48 Plymouth. I find it amazing that Chrysler used those same brackets for at least 16 years. At least it will make them easier to find - there are a lot more P15-D24 parts cars floating around out there than the 1932 variety.

Let me know if by some staggering stroke of good luck you have any of these parts lying around the garage/workshop/barn/ lean-to/shed/junkpile/carport/backyard/basement/attic/Arizona desert. The sooner I find them, the sooner I can begin posting my incredibly detailed, spiritually uplifting, and totally astonishing restoration thread on the old DL. This thread will undoubtedly provide more information about what not to do during a restoration than any other restoration thread you've ever read.

Thanks, RT

If you are able to find the original part numbers and see what other year make/model cars they interchange with than your search will be much easier, if you need an hand with that let me know

On a quest for missing parts for my 1932 Dodge DL sedan. I need a tail light, tail light stalk, license plate bracket, engine splash aprons and a rear seat foot rest. Okay, I can hear the laughing from here. I'm also searching for the Lost Dutchman mine - and probably have a better chance of finding it before I find the parts I need. . .

1930 is correct about finding the part numbers for the things you need. It will help you determine if another year or make used it.

For my '33 Plymouth's engine splash aprons I gave up on finding serviceable ones that were for sale. But I did find a person who was in the process of restoring the same model car and had it apart. He was willing to loan me his and I was able to have duplicates made at a local sheet metal shop. They were pretty simple to replicate. If I had a bit more room in my garage for things like a break and bead roller I could probably have made them myself... Anyway, that might be an option for you for some items.

Yeah, I figured the splash aprons were going to be tough to find. I looked at Phil's and they don't seem that difficult to make. I put something up on the H.A.M.B as they are unfortunately the kind of things the rodders pitch right away.

One this is almost always for sure and that is the parts are avail. but it requires a little bit of homework and dedication to find them. Funny thing is once you find one part all of a sudden you will come across spares as well.

dc-8dave, I didn't see, or hear, any crying. The discussions centered around part numbers, possible making of parts and the fun of the chase. I restored a 1929 Plymouth in the mid-seventies, and remember going up around Port Huron, Michigan to Burchill's (if I remember correctly) and buying four NOS hubcaps, NOS door handles, a NOS tail light and dozens of other NOS parts for the car. Old parts were a lot more common back then, cheaper and easier to find. Got an original crankhole cover in the factory box at Hershey in 1975. You probably walked 15 miles in the snow to school in your bare feet when you were a kid, too.

I agree with MikeC5, it's all about the thrill of the hunt. Nobody's crying around here.

<quickprintreadystate style="display: none;"></quickprintreadystate>

dc-8dave, I didn't see, or hear, any crying. The discussions centered around part numbers, possible making of parts and the fun of the chase. I restored a 1929 Plymouth in the mid-seventies, and remember going up around Port Huron, Michigan to Burchill's (if I remember correctly) and buying four NOS hubcaps, NOS door handles, a NOS tail light and dozens of other NOS parts for the car. Old parts were a lot more common back then, cheaper and easier to find. Got an original crankhole cover in the factory box at Hershey in 1975. You probably walked 15 miles in the snow to school in your bare feet when you were a kid, too.

I agree with MikeC5, it's all about the thrill of the hunt. Nobody's crying around here.

<quickprintreadystate style="display: none;"></quickprintreadystate>

Yes, it was Bob Burchill's place in Port Huron. His son Rob is still active with old cars and on this forum.

Hi Taylormade,

I can't offer you any parts or proabably any advice, but I AM looking forward to your spiritually upliftling restoration thread! (My Mum was shot at by the Luftwaffe on her way home from school once - don't think it was snowing though...)

Guest DodgeKCL

Can't find my N.C. Industries catalog right now but I know they sell the robe brackets for the back of the seats on '33 and '34 Plymouths. They are round loops? They may also sell the the assit strap brackets and the assits themsleves in 2 colors. They may be the same as your Dodge. Check out their site. They are in Sayre Penn.

Hi Taylormade.

Just checked the NC Industries Catalogue and the have the robe brackets / Assist Brackets and are available in Chrome approx $19 each, ...the assist strap brackets with strap are available in both grey, light brown and dark brown with strap approx $40 each. They also have Left side tail light stand ( with number plate bracket ) but this is for a 1933 plymouth and dodge....would that be the same ?

I have a 34 Dodge....again I'm not familiar with the 32's but I've attached a pic of my splash pans...are these the same, if so I haven't mounted them yet and am happy to provide dimensions.

I have seen tail lights on ebay but I'll keep an eye out in Australia for you if one comes up.

Cheers

Ian

post-44589-143141790296_thumb.jpg

Hi Taylormade.

Just checked the NC Industries Catalogue and the have the robe brackets / Assist Brackets and are available in Chrome approx $19 each, ...the assist strap brackets with strap are available in both grey, light brown and dark brown with strap approx $40 each. They also have Left side tail light stand ( with number plate bracket ) but this is for a 1933 plymouth and dodge....would that be the same ?

I have a 34 Dodge....again I'm not familiar with the 32's but I've attached a pic of my splash pans...are these the same, if so I haven't mounted them yet and am happy to provide dimensions.

I have seen tail lights on ebay but I'll keep an eye out in Australia for you if one comes up.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks, Ian - NC Industries sounds like a winner, but on their website they only list windshield frames. I guess I'll have to ask for one of their catalogs. I don't think the tail light brackets are the same for 32s, but I'll give them a call Monday and see what's up. I appreciate the heads up.

Not sure of the splash pans - I'll send your picture to Phil Kennedy - whose DL still has them attached - and see what he thinks. They look fairly easy to fabricate.

Edited by Taylormade (see edit history)

Hi Taylormade.

Cheers

Ian

Those '34 Dodge dust pans look very much like the '34 Plymouth ones. Which are, of course, different than the '33 Plymouth ones. I would be quite surprised if the '32 ones matched those... But I don't have a '32 and haven't looked that closely at cars by others to see what the dust pans exactly look like.

I don't think N/C Industries carries dust pans. If they do I'll be kicking myself as that would have been cheaper and easier than having them custom made. I think you can find at least some of the non-windshield part for '33 and '34 on the web site. I would be very surprised if the '32 tail light stand is the same as either the '33 or '34 (which are different from each other on Plymouth at least).

I just checked with N/C Industries and it looks like they have the brackets. They are sending me a catalog so I can take a look and see if they're right. The tail light stand is definitely different for the 32. I have my original stand, but there is a chunk out of the top where it attaches to the fender. I may be able to build it back up with epoxy and have it cast if all else fails. The car never had the original tail light. It had been changed out 1965 when I originally bought the car.

And thanks DodgeKCL for mentioning N/C in the first place. Didn't mean to forget you, but Ian jumped in and I got the two of you confused in the wealth of good information. This happens when you are as old as dirt - like I am.