vintage cragar. wheel info wanted

mastertech

I bought these whees at a yard sale,the seller told me that they came off a 1968 Camaro he once owned from new, removed the fron the car when he wrecked it in 78 put them in the garage till I bought them. I cleaned them up put them on my 300. Have been told by some older people that these are vintage wheels. I my self do not remember ever seeing any, outter rim is chrome center spokes are gold .

I have contacted cragar but had to sent them a picture of the wheel. thru email. if anyone knows of these or have ever seen these I would like to know if they are period correct or. either way I thing they look on my 300.

post-30849-14314177751_thumb.jpg

Cragar wheels were the thing to have in the late sixties. They must have sold a million sets. Most of the old ones are rusted, corroded or gone.

Chev wheels wouldn't fit a Chrysler, they use a different bolt pattern. Ford and Chrysler will interchange but not Chev. Maybe they were on a Mustang or Torino.

thank you. I drive this everyday,but take the wheels off for winter. being that I work in a Chrysler dealership every saterday I pull the car in put it up on the lift spray a good cleaner on the underneath and hose all the crud and salt out let it dry . been doing this for five years now and no rust.

they look great on your 300. I was 18 in 1968 and living in the LA area till mid 1974 and don't think I've ever seen that gold color wheel. not saying they didn't have them...I don't remember them. nice to have them for a 'different' good look to enjoy.

Cragar wheels were the thing to have in the late sixties. They must have sold a million sets. Most of the old ones are rusted, corroded or gone.

Chev wheels wouldn't fit a Chrysler, they use a different bolt pattern. Ford and Chrysler will interchange but not Chev. Maybe they were on a Mustang or Torino.

Cragars became very popular in the 62-65 era, then American Racing came out with the original Torque thrust mag wheel which took some sales away, but Cragar's were still used into the 70's. The Cragar's use a multi-bolt pattern or slotted pattern which allow you to use them on many cars. I have a set that will fit my 62 Pontiac ( five on five) or my 69 Pontiac Tempest LeMans ( five on 4 3/4). What you have to always be concerned about is proper backspacing. Also the lug nuts and lugs are different between my two cars plus the 62 has left hand threads on the left side of the car so all this means is you need in my case two different types of Cragar lug nuts for the two cars- but the wheel is the same.

If memory serves, the Camaro had a 4-3/4" bolt circle, while the Mopars (and Fpords) had a 4-1/2" bolt circle.

To get around this difference, Cragar, and dozens of other aftermarket wheel manufacturers used an elongated hole, sometimes with a reversable filler, which allowed the same wheel to be used in multiple applications - so yes, the same wheel might have been used on a Camaro and a Chrysler (love your car), or on a Ford/Mercury.

To answer the other question, I do not recall seeing this wheel as "Factory" authorized or distributed. My guess is that they are strictly aftermarket. It is your car, and you are not having it "Point-Judged" by AACA for authenticity, so keep them if that is what you like.

I had a set similar to those, all aluminum, and polished, on a '65 Corvair Corsa convertible. As they were lighter in weight than the steel factory wheels, and were substantially wider, and fitted with Michelin Radial tires, the handling was even better than the already fantasticly improved '65 Corsa, and with the 140 HP 4-carb set-up plus the 4-speed and a posi-traction, quite a few Porsche drivers were embarassed.

If memory serves, the Camaro had a 4-3/4" bolt circle, while the Mopars (and Fpords) had a 4-1/2" bolt circle.

To get around this difference, Cragar, and dozens of other aftermarket wheel manufacturers used an elongated hole, sometimes with a reversable filler, which allowed the same wheel to be used in multiple applications - so yes, the same wheel might have been used on a Camaro and a Chrysler (love your car), or on a Ford/Mercury.

To answer the other question, I do not recall seeing this wheel as "Factory" authorized or distributed. My guess is that they are strictly aftermarket. It is your car, and you are not having it "Point-Judged" by AACA for authenticity, so keep them if that is what you like.

I had a set similar to those, all aluminum, and polished, on a '65 Corvair Corsa convertible. As they were lighter in weight than the steel factory wheels, and were substantially wider, and fitted with Michelin Radial tires, the handling was even better than the already fantasticly improved '65 Corsa, and with the 140 HP 4-carb set-up plus the 4-speed and a posi-traction, quite a few Porsche drivers were embarassed.

Marty, Melvin never said they were factory wheels, just that he bought them off a guy who was a original owner to a 1968 Camaro.

Cragars are a aftermarket wheel, and they are maybe vintage 1968 wheels, but you can order Cragar SS wheels today. I did mention a slotted hole that one size fits all.

I have contacted cragar wheels explained to them the wheels, but like I have heard before need picture (picture is worth a thousand words) sent picture on Friday night so I figure I should hear back Monday.

I am having a hard time learning my new laptop(sorry net book as per my grandson). grandson havd to show me how to work adding pictures I t has windows 8 and its very different.

I usuallydont have these wheels on when igo to certain shows, I wil put the original wheels on. the car is very original . its a 20-50 car--- 20 feet or 50mph. but I do take it to shows. most shows in this area if you don't have shiny paint and chrome they don't look. but that's for later

Guest 4 bufords

better keep an eye on the lugnuts,talked to a few people with cragars and the lugnuts loosen after a while.my friend had a rear wheel almost fall off his 38 chevy,4 bufords from ct

better keep an eye on the lugnuts,talked to a few people with cragars and the lugnuts loosen after a while.my friend had a rear wheel almost fall off his 38 chevy,4 bufords from ct

Better get locks for 'em, too......