Wheel Spats for Chrysler?

Guest 38Plymouth

Guest 38Plymouth

Hello fellow Chrysler buffs.

Last weekend I picked up a pair of wheel spats at a swap meet confident that they would fit my 1938 Dodge. And they do. The are the correct size and shape and fit my guards perfectly.

What I want to know is what they would have come off as the badge is not familiar to me. I have spats on my 1938 Plymouth and the badge is the sailing ship. My friend has spats on his Dodge and they are like half a wing or a flash if you like.

I have been unable to find anything resembling the badge shown in the picture using the internet. Could they be Chrysler or DeSoto?

Any help with identification would be appreciated.

Dallas from Downunderpost-65549-143141774052_thumb.jpg

post-65549-143141774031_thumb.jpg

Guest 38Plymouth

Thanks for your input on this. Yes definately mid to late 30's. I thought they might have been Airflow or Airstream but from my research I can't find any badges that match. I've been wondering if the spats are for one of the Chrysler family but the badges may be an aftermarket badge from the era.

Still keen to find out.

Guest bkazmer
I do not know that I have ever heard the term wheel spats for what I call fender skirts?

normal for Britain or Oz

I think this is the first time I'm hearing the term "wheel spats". I take it that is "Mopar-appropriate terminology" for what most would call fender skirts. Or, did other manufacturers also use this moniker? Very interesting.

normal for Britain or Oz
I think this is the first time I'm hearing the term "wheel spats". I take it that is "Mopar-appropriate terminology" for what most would call fender skirts. Or, did other manufacturers also use this moniker? Very interesting.

All the Mopar people I've ever heard mention those called them fender skirts.

See above quote from bkazmer. Original poster was from Australia. I think this is another "bonnet" vs "hood", "wings" vs "fenders", etc. type of thing.

Guest 38Plymouth

OK guys, no hanging it on the Aussie terminology. Yes we call them wheel spats or just simply, spats. Everyone over here knows what I'm talking about. As for other terminology to consider: yes we call a hood a bonnet, a trunk a boot and fenders mudguards or guards. The pom call the wings, not us. Interestingly, we refer to the metal above our heads as a roof but I've seen it referred to as a turret. Is that one of yours?

Back to the topic at hand. Nice work Jim. You have nailed it. The emblem is definitely the same in the picture as what I have. I knew someone would know. The good news it that they fit my 1938 Dodge but I may need to source some correct badges.

Oh and by the by, I like Mopars but not 'in to' them. Much too late model for me. Prefer pre-war Chrysler iron.

Thanks for your help and comments.

Dallas from Downunder

OK guys, no hanging it on the Aussie terminology. Yes we call them wheel spats or just simply, spats. Everyone over here knows what I'm talking about. As for other terminology to consider: yes we call a hood a bonnet, a trunk a boot and fenders mudguards or guards. The pom call the wings, not us. Interestingly, we refer to the metal above our heads as a roof but I've seen it referred to as a turret. Is that one of yours?

Back to the topic at hand. Nice work Jim. You have nailed it. The emblem is definitely the same in the picture as what I have. I knew someone would know. The good news it that they fit my 1938 Dodge but I may need to source some correct badges.

Oh and by the by, I like Mopars but not 'in to' them. Much too late model for me. Prefer pre-war Chrysler iron.

Thanks for your help and comments.

Dallas from Downunder

I actually sort of like the term "wheel spats". I've got a relative that is in love with "fender skirts" - he thinks any old car or truck looks better with them. We don't always agree about that - I can have some fun with him over this new terminology.

Aussie terminology -

The pom call them wings, not us.

Not to needless drag this out but , and I do really find it interesting, who are/what is the "pom?"

You gotta love the english language. Parts of it are a foreign language even to those who speak it fluently!

Guest 38Plymouth
An Australian once told me that was short for pompous. I won't pass on what I was told the nickname for Americans is...

As we are so far off toppic and that the original topic has been resolved by Jim, thanks again Jim. I thought I might be able to wade in on the Pom issue.

POME, Poms or Pommies are said to have originated from England as stated. How this term has come into being is a matter of conjecture. There are a few explanations or origins and no definitive answer. Here is what I know of them.

POME = Prisoner of Mother England. This being a result of the convict migration that settled this great land.

Pom - Short for Pommegranite, a fruit. Said that the english complexion was a similar colour/texture to the fruit. (note that I spelled colour correctly, the way the english language intended it)

As for what we call Americans. Well the most often slang for you guys is Yanks. Make of that what you will. It still remains that while you don't have the best handling or fastest cars made, the styling and class of US iron is undoubtely unmatched. Especially Chryslers!

Dallas from Downunder

Pom - Short for Pommegranite, a fruit. Said that the english complexion was a similar colour/texture to the fruit. (note that I spelled colour correctly, the way the english language intended it)

Colour might be spelled correctly but "Pomegranate"isn't. By the way I hear there was a big oil strike in South Australia. Remember we're your friends.

Guest bkazmer

my Aussie mates also insist that in today's use, it's almost always a two word expression - pommie bastar*. or that could just be them :)