How does one go about replacing the outside round mirror on a 57 Buick?

buick man

I have a spare mirror and want to replace the glass mirror itself. It appears to be set into the metal casing with rounded leading edges. Has anyone actually replaced one before on a 57 Buick? Please clue us in.

Here is a photo of which I refer:

If not then does anyone know of someone who does this regularly?

post-56742-143141750836_thumb.jpg

Edited by buick man (see edit history)

I don't think it's practically possible to uncrimp/unroll the edges and reroll them with any degree of cosmetic acceptability. What some folks are doing is cementing a bevel edged new mirror directly to the old one or, more elaborately, breaking out the old mirror and getting a glass shop to edge grind a perfectly fitting mirror and cementing it in place. Some also build up a backing cemented inside the housing to support the replacement. Good repro's are probably available...............Bob

I don't think it's practically possible to uncrimp/unroll the edges and reroll them with any degree of cosmetic acceptability. What some folks are doing is cementing a bevel edged new mirror directly to the old one or, more elaborately, breaking out the old mirror and getting a glass shop to edge grind a perfectly fitting mirror and cementing it in place. Some also build up a backing cemented inside the housing to support the replacement. Good repro's are probably available...............Bob

This is what we did ten years ago. It's almost impossible to see that is what's been done...

Thanks for your considerable take on this guys. Interesting as well. As always, I like trying my best to use original components and reproductions would be my last alternative. I have an old passenger's side mirror that would be a nice addition if I could replace the mirror and it sounds like it is possible. I would have to go to a mirror/glass shop and see what they say as well. Yeah I can see if the replacement glass can be machined true, then I could most likely come up with a backing mechanism.

I agree with Bob and Dale. A good galss shop should be able to set you up David. I know you have the wherewithall to figure out the installation in the original frame. Good luck and present us with the blow by blow description of the process. Would be interesting to see.