My Reatta heater is being cruel to me...

Guest Kitskaboodle

Guest Kitskaboodle

It has been doing this since I had the car but this morning is the worst ever.

Ok, here's the deal: whenever I turn on the heater, set the climate control, etc...this heater takes its sweet time coming on! I was freezing my tootsies off this morning while my car was warming up. From the time I set the climate control it took darn near 3+ minutes for the heater/fan to come on. This doesn't seem right. What could be wrong?

Edited by Kitskaboodle (see edit history)

Guest Mc_Reatta

Maybe nothing, at least with the heater. Controller won't turn the fan on until the coolant hits a specified temp. What does your temp gauge report during these 3 minutes? Could have an open thermostat that is slowing down the time it takes to get up to temp.

One way to help diagnose the problem.. Start the car and watch the coolant temp gage. My '89 turns the fan on at 122 degrees F. If this temp is not reached in 3-5 minutes or so, then the engine thermostat is probably needing replacement. Also, if the gage reads lower than 185 or so once fully warmed up, the thermostat is suspect.

Guest Reatta Bob

My system come's on at 115 degrees. When I got my 88, first cold day engine temp never went over 160. The o ring on top of the thermostat was missing letting the coolant bypass the stat. Installed new stat and o ring has been fine for 2 years

Guest Mc_Reatta
Mine does the same but I find that if I select Defrost first' date=' the fan comes on much quicker and stays on when switched to Heater as long as the fan speed Auto is not selected. It is one of those things I have yet to delve into.[/quote']

That's because selecting Defrost circumvents the programming in the EBCM that delays the operation of the fan to prevent blowing cold air when heat is called for, and hot air when the AC is selected. There is a table in the FSM that explains all the scenarios when various modes are called for and what the engine, interior and exterior temperatures are at time. It's more complex than you probably think it is.

Guest Kitskaboodle

I put back the 180 degree thermostat that had been in there. Car runs "ok".

By the way, I did a little test this evening when I got home. After pulling into my driveway (coming home from work) I turned the heater on and it came on right away. (only maybe a 2 second delay) On another note...there is a post above that said if you hit the defrost button instead of the heater button , the blower motor will come on sooner. I will try this tommorow morning.

Ok, so here's a small rant (sorry):

I think it's rediculous to design a defrost system that makes you wait that long for any kind of air....whether cold, warm or hot! Jeez, I would take cool or warm air over no air!

Hmmm, this has me thinking...is there an easy way to defeat this system and make it come on WHEN I COMMAND IT TO?

Reading this made me curious. I just went and checked my '88 with the engine stone cold. After the systems check I hit the "high" fan button, defrost button and heater button one after another and the fan kept running. Then I selected "auto" fan and then "low" fan and it changed speed accordingly. Is that what you are wanting or something else?

'88 models have some wiring differences from '89 and later models but I would think it work the same on them all.

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

I've been reading the FSM section on the heat and AC section. It couldn't possibly be more complex than I think. Hee, hee

That's because selecting Defrost circumvents the programming in the EBCM that delays the operation of the fan to prevent blowing cold air when heat is called for, and hot air when the AC is selected. There is a table in the FSM that explains all the scenarios when various modes are called for and what the engine, interior and exterior temperatures are at time. It's more complex than you probably think it is.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Here's the Purge Modes that may be at play. Notice they are circumvented if Defrost is selected, and they can last for 3 minutes. An AC Purge Mode was added in Nov 88 as well.

post-55241-143141749407_thumb.jpg

post-55241-14314174941_thumb.jpg

post-55241-143141749412_thumb.jpg

Guest Kitskaboodle
Reading this made me curious. I just went and checked my '88 with the engine stone cold. After the systems check I hit the "high" fan button, defrost button and heater button one after another and the fan kept running. Then I selected "auto" fan and then "low" fan and it changed speed accordingly. Is that what you are wanting or something else?

'88 models have some wiring differences from '89 and later models but I would think it work the same on them all.

I have a 90 if that matters. I simply want the fan to come on immediately. Blowing cool/lukewarm air at an icy windshield for 3 minutes is a far better utilization of time than just sitting there for 3 minutes doing absolutely nothing and twiddling your thumbs!

I will try what you did tommorow morning. Fan hi, then defrost and then heater button. (in that order, correct?

Thanks everyone for your input...Kit

Edited by Kitskaboodle (see edit history)

Guest Kitskaboodle

Ok, this morning it came on right away after I pressed the fan up button to medium, then I pressed defrost and then the heater button. (in that order) Problem solved!

Kit

I wonder of this is worthy of putting instructions on ROJ about how to override the system programming and make the fan come on as described above. I rarely drive my car when it's cold so I hadn't thought about it. But for daily drivers up north it might be something they would like to know. What do you guys think?

Guest Corvanti

Ronnie, i think it would be a good idea for a tutorial.:)

it makes me wonder about my HVAC system. this past summer, my fan wouldn't come on for awhile after stopping/starting a few times running errands. the consensus here and elsewhere was a bad heater motor. i purchased the heater motor from "The Reatta Store", but it's still sitting in the box - with cooler fall & winter weather, i haven't had a problem.

while i'll get the motor in as soon as i'm able - i'm 99% sure the motor is bad - that is something to ponder. (easy to check before tearing into the motor or module), and would certainly help folks in the winter time!

Guest Mc_Reatta

it makes me wonder about my HVAC system. this past summer, my fan wouldn't come on for awhile after stopping/starting a few times running errands. the consensus here and elsewhere was a bad heater motor. i purchased the heater motor from "The Reatta Store", but it's still sitting in the box - with cooler fall & winter weather, i haven't had a problem.

The AC Purge Mode only lasts for 7 seconds so I doubt many folks give it much thought. Your problem is most likely due to thermal breakdown of the coil inside the fan motor. I would expect it to reoccur when the hot weather returns.

Guest Corvanti
The AC Purge Mode only lasts for 7 seconds so I doubt many folks give it much thought. Your problem is most likely due to thermal breakdown of the coil inside the fan motor. I would expect it to reoccur when the hot weather returns.

yeah, that's why i'm 99% sure that it's the motor.:)

sorry for the "slight thread-jack"...:o i'll certainly use this procedure with the front defrost if needed this winter!