Question regarding 1988-89 radio

Bushwack

From the time I turn on the radio in my '89 coupe, it takes 5-10 minutes to 'warm up' before sound comes out of the speakers (whether AM or FM). During the wait, slight static does come through the speakers. Before I replace the radio and speakers, I'd like to know if this is a symptom of a bad radio (or something else like the speakers, antenna {which is noisy but elevates as it should} or possibly the CRT (which seems to works fine).

Ervin, sounds like a bad RIM (radio interface module), GM speak for what we just call the radio. The CRT should have no bearing on the sound coming from the radio, as it is only a front-end interface. The speakers, if bad from rotted surrounds or just plain blown, will sound terrible all the time. The symptom you describe is a failed radio module, probably due to bad electrolytic capacitors within. Find a working spare or send it out to M&R for rebuild.

KDirk

Guest Corvanti

sounds like a bad "something" in the radio. 99% sure it's not the speakers. and you should be able to pick up a "blowtorch" AM station, like KFI with no antenna mast, as long as the antenna cable is plugged in to the radio. (BTDT when i lived in Pomona). :)

the electronic experts should be able to give more direction as to what inside the radio may be the problem, but i believe you'll need to pull the radio box for repair/replacement.

EDIT: oops, late again due to my slow typing...

Thanks ya'll. I'm going with the bad radio scenario (which I have and will replace). Might as well replace the speakers as after 23+ years of wear and tear,....nothing lasts forever. Just found it odd that a 1990-1991 faulty radio doesn't require a warm-up time like an '89 (and I assume 1988) unit.

i swapped in a module from a 1994?regal.works great.

There are several radio modules GM used that look the same but the correct module for a Reatta is one that will function the five equalizers switches.

Many of the cars had an identical looking module but they only have treble and base built into them so if you put one of them in you will only have two settings instead of the normal five.